Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was doing some work in garage, so I moved my car out. I saw a drop of fresh dark fluid on the floor under the passenger side of the engine. My first thought was that this is oil leaking because I just changed my oil a week ago with Valvoline Maxlife NextGen 5W20 high mileage oil. I never used high millage formula before, and the previous 3-5 fills were either 5W30 or 10W30 conventional.

I put the car on ramps and took a picture of the area with a drip on it. Now, I am not so sure if this is motor oil. The wet area is right underneath the drive axle seal. The drive axle area looks wet all around. I guess that in addition to replacing the left seal, I also have to do the right side (I already got two Ford seals anyways). What surprises me is the color of fluid. If this is transmission fluid, why is it so dark brawn. The seal leak from the left side looks a bit red as expected, though it also started originally as dark brown. My only theory is that since the leak just started, its washing away all the dirt around the seal that accumulated over the time. I am posting this because I am curious, could this still be a motor oil leak as well? The motor oil pan does look dryish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
How does the motor mount next to the firewall look? Is it oozing out hydraulic oil? I forget how far back that sits in relation to the passenger side axle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts