Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just purchased a BiXenon HID kit. The kind that uses a mechanical bulb that moves back and forth to change between low and high beams. I just finished installing it, but for some reason the Hi and Lo beams are reversed. When i pull the light lever towards me, it goes to Lo beam. Same thing happens if i pushed it forward, and when its in the middle position it goes to Hi beam.

The default position of the bulb in its socket is forward (when the lights are switched completely off). When i turn the lights on however, the bulbs get sucked in towards the back. And then when i press the Hi beams, the bulbs get released towards the front again. Is this how a BiXenon should function? Doesnt make sense to me, because this way the solenoid that pulls the bulb towards the back would always be on.

Could this be happening because i took out the relay for the DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?

The kit came with a controller for the Hi/Lo beams. Could the controller have been assembled incorrectly (in reverse)?

Any other ideas? How can i fix my problem? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
common problem you have to switch a couple wires around no big deal do a search there was a thread a few months ago about this same problem

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive searched everywhere for a thread. I cant find anything. Would really appreciate it if someone can show me a link to a thread or a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Hey man let me know if you figured it out, i have the EXACT same problem, when putting the highbeams on they dont do anything (pushing the level out) and then when you pull the lever in to flick your highs at somebody they point down.

I checked over my wiring and had a buddy do it as well, and i still could not find the problem and my lows are more than bright so I just forgot about it, i never really have any need for highs but it would be nice.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Unplug your lights from the factory harness. There will be 3 connectors inside. 1 is ground, 1 is high, 1 is low. Use a multimeter or even a test light to find which is which. Swap low and high on the HID side of the connector, so if you have to go back stock you can easily. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (s2knott @ Mar 11 2009, 09:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707524
Hey man let me know if you figured it out, i have the EXACT same problem, when putting the highbeams on they dont do anything (pushing the level out) and then when you pull the lever in to flick your highs at somebody they point down.

I checked over my wiring and had a buddy do it as well, and i still could not find the problem and my lows are more than bright so I just forgot about it, i never really have any need for highs but it would be nice.[/b]
Did you actually graduate from UTI? :picard2:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
HA, figures it would be the only one I didn't look at.

Did you actually graduate from UTI[/b]
They were going to change the name.

UTM = UnTrained MORONS

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Mar 11 2009, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707556
HA, figures it would be the only one I didn't look at.

Did you actually graduate from UTI[/b]
They were going to change the name.

UTM = UnTrained MORONS

[/b][/quote]
They could still use the same emblem and everything: UnTrained Idiots

Although I believe that some that go there do have sense, just not in this particular situation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys, I just got back from the garage. Went to see what happens if i put back the relay for the DRL, and surely enough all it did was to make the high beams stay on even when the lights are suppose to be off.

Then i just realized whats happening. Just as 00tec-saTX said. The wires for the Hi and Lo beam are inversed in the HID socket. So thats all im going to have to do. Switched the Hi and Lo wires around.

The only thing i cant figure out is how this might have happened? Did they put the wires in wrong during assembly?
My only explanation was that i noticed that it had some sort of indication for both 9004 and 9007 bulbs on the HID bulb. So the same bulb is probably used for a 9004 setup as well (it was probably wired for a 9004). The only thing that doesnt make sense with that assumption is that a 9004 bulb has Gnd-Lo-Hi instead of Lo-Gnd-Hi (9007). Which means if it was wired for a 9004 the Lo and Gnd would be switched not the Hi and Lo. Would the system function in the same way if this was actually the case?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (xxxcellarator @ Mar 11 2009, 11:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707561
Thank you guys, I just got back from the garage. Went to see what happens if i put back the relay for the DRL, and surely enough all it did was to make the high beams stay on even when the lights are suppose to be off.

Then i just realized whats happening. Just as 00tec-saTX said. The wires for the Hi and Lo beam are unversed in the HID socket. So thats all im going to have to do. Switched the Hi and Lo wires around.

The only thing i cant figure out is how this might have happened? Did they put the wires in wrong during assembly?
My only explanation was that i noticed that it had some sort of indication for both 9004 and 9007 bulbs on the HID bulb. So the same bulb is probably used for a 9004 setup as well (it was probably wired for a 9004). The only thing that doesnt make sense with that assumption is that a 9004 bulb has Gnd-Lo-Hi instead of Lo-Gnd-Hi (9007). Which means if it was wired for a 9004 the Lo and Gnd would be switched not the Hi and Lo. Would the system function in the same way if this was actually the case?[/b]
Most places list the 9004 and 9007 kits and sell just the 9004 (easier I guess), they don't tell you that they need to be swapped.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well we were told somewhere along the line that the wiring "problem" would be attended to at the production level. I believe there was a member or two that actually recieved their kit with the wiring corrected.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I just fixed my problem yesterday. It was extremely simple. The pins come out of the harness socket extremely easy since they have a very smart design. I just had to put a pointy object beside the pins and push a little tab that prevents them from sliding out, and they came right out.

The way the power is provided to the factory socket is the weirdest thing, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how it works. On low beam it sends full power to one positive and about 1/2 power to the other. When you push the light handle forward (Hi beam) one positive gets full power the other gets nothing. When you pull it towards you (flash the Hi beam) the OTHER positive gets full power while the other gets nothing. I have no idea how this could possibly work on a 2 filement bulb design. Maybe im missing something. I used a test light to check this.

To S2KNOTT:

In any case, initially what i tried to do was to switch the 2 positives between each other. That caused my lights to work EXACTLY as you described yours. When on low beam the lights are actually on Hi beam. And when i pull the leaver towards me the Low beams come on. Pushing it forward does nothing.

I then reset them and used the concept of switching the wires from 9004 to 9007, which means that i switched the Ground wire along with the positive beside it around with each other. This made my light work perfectly. So what you would have to do is play around with your wiring as well. Going by my situation, ude have to switch the 2 positive and then the Ground with the positive beside it. But youde have to experiment since im not sure about that.

Also keep in mind, you are running on the high beam now. U said your low beam is bright enough so u dont really care, but in reality your blinding everyone with a High beam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts