Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have code p0352 on my 2008 Mercury Sable primary/secondary coil circuit error and it has a terrible miss. I found a swelled cracked coil on that cylinder so replaced it and all the spark plugs. After it still had the miss and on the same cylinder along with the same code. I thought maybe I bought a faulty coil so I moved it to a different cylinder but the same cylinder threw the same code. The connector looks fine etc.

I'd like to put a noid light on the connector and see if the driver for that coil is firing the coil correctly but it happens to be one right under the intake being a 3.5l mounted transversely. If I could locate a wiring diagram and PCM/ECU connector pin diagram I could at least check for continuity of the wire going from the coil to the ECU.

I figure it's either the wire is bad or the driver in the ECU. When it first started happening I also found codes p0301 p0302 and p0304 which are all miss fires on cylinders 1, 2, and 4. Plus code p0300 which is for random miss fires. Ever since replacing the the coil and plugs the only code that keeps coming back is the p0352 but it feels like that more than one cylinder is missing as bad as it is.

I would appreciate any help or reference material on the pin and wiring layout. I have searched for hours and I'm having trouble locating information.

Thanks.

EDIT: just read where a bad coil/cop can fry the coil driver in the ECU has anyone heard or had this issue?

·
Registered
22,529 Posts
P0352= ignition coil "B" primary/secondary circuit malfunction. Did you replace the coil on #2 cylinder? Is that the middle rear on your 3.5?

·
Registered
22,529 Posts
Then def. sounds like wiring or pcm driver. May check injector and perform compression/leak-down tests since at 1 time you also had p0302 as well as other misfire codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Then def. sounds like wiring or pcm driver. May check injector and perform compression/leak-down tests since at 1 time you also had p0302 as well as other misfire codes.
I doubt if it is miss firing because of low compression or bad injector. It wouldn't throw a code for an error in the primary/secondary coil circuit for that same cylinder. It would just be a normal mis code like p0302. Not p0352. I have cleared the codes several times only p0352 returns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It was a the PCM/ECU. I sent if off to be repaired but it was to burnt up to be fixed.

I ended up getting an used one from a 2008 Ford Taurus. They were parting it out and they just let me have it for free:D. I had to drive about 90 miles to pick it up and I took my daughter's 2015 Focus to get it and it averaged 38 mpg, so about 15 is gas and 3 and half hours of driving.

When I pulled my ECU out I noticced it was only about 2 years old according to the manufacture date. Plus one of the coils had already been replaced. So I'm sure the previous owner had already dealt with the same issue.

They stupid thing was they only replaced the coil and left the old spark plugs with 100,000 miles in the car. They plugs were so wore out that gap was way over the required spec. I'm sure they contributed to the failure of the second coil and ECU.

The wider the gap the harder the coil has to work to ionize the air gap between the ground strap and central electrode to create a spark. I'm sure it over heated the coil and caused it to swell and crack allowing the oil in the coil to escape. Then once it shorted out it cooked the coil driver in the ECU. From my research it's pretty common.

It's probably the reason the first one failed and the second one I replaced. The car other than that is in great shape.

If the original owner bought a new ECU along with the coil and reprogramming from Ford they probably had close to a grand in the repair and was probably the reason they traded it in.

It's the premier so it has all the bells and whistles. I also have a 2005 Ford 500 select and it's not near as nice as far has creature comforts go.

The Sable has Microsoft Sync. heated leather memory seats, adjustable pedals, projector lights, 18' chrome wheels instead of 17" painted ones. Stainless steel looking mirror covers. A 3.5l vvt instead of a basic 3.0l engine, heated mirrors ETC. I know there's other options I'm forgetting.

Plus the Sable is black and with the 18" chrome wheels and looks a lot classier than the white 500 with 17" painted wheels. It still looks almost new.

When I purchased it about a year and a half ago it was still valued around 10k and I got for $5200.00. It was a trade in at the dealership I was working at so I bought it for only 200 more than the dealership had in vested in it. I'm the one that inspected it and knew it was solid car with a couple small issues. The outside and interior are almost flawless. I already had the 500 and really liked it and the Sable was even a nicer version, both are AWD.

I knew it needed plugs but I procrastinated and paid the price. Plus I had to replace the battery about a week later. I have also recently replaced all the brake pads and rotors, new rear wheel bearings, new tires.

Thanks for your vote of confidence lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts