Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 96 TAURUS GL,

I ALREADY SEARCHED THROUGH THE FORUMS BUT ONLY FOUND ONE THREAD ON THE BIG 3 THE THREAD I FOUND

I ORDERED ME A BOOSCH HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR 200 AMP. AND I PLAN TO ORDER 1 GAUGE WIRE FOR THE INSTALL.

MY QUESTION IS WHAT EXACTLY DO I NEED TO GROUND AND CONNECT WITH 1 GAUGE WIRE ?
DO I HAVE UPGRADE ANY FUSES UNDER THE HOOD?

DOES THE BATTERY TO THE STARTER NEED 1 GAUGE WIRE ?

AND DO I NEED TO RUN 1 GAUGE TO MY AMPLIFIER OR COULD I KEEP THE 8 GAUGE WIRE TO THE AMP AFTER THE BIG 3 ?

ALSO WOULD THE HIGH OUTPUT AMP DAMAGE MY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM???? I READ THAT THE AMP ONLY PUSHES OUT WHAT IS NEEDED FROM THE ELECTRONICS NOTHING MORE...

THANKS I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP....

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/B..._System_Upgrade

Writeup^^
You don't upgrade the batt to starter, just alt to batt, batt to ground, and block to ground.
The new alt won't hurt anything.

And nothing personal, but please try to refrain from the caps lock, it's harder to read and gives the impression that you're yelling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
200 amps is the alternators maximum output, not its constant output. Won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
QUOTE (smoothkeys @ Mar 15 2009, 08:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708991
QUOTE (Cheeto @ Mar 15 2009, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708909
Do you still have the old alternator? Take that bad boy to a shop and have it rebuilt for 300 amps.[/b]
yea it's still operating in the car, but every time my subs hit deep note my lights slightly dim im also going to install a capacitor
[/b][/quote]

Caps suck, just do big 3 upgrade. Big 3 will help you alot if not get rid of your problems completely. I had the same problem way back when.. and i did the big 3 and it helpped alot... Then I tried a cap lol.. and drained my bat cuz I hooked it up wrong and it drained. So I added a sexy red top optimum bat. Next I blew my alt cuz I dropped a pair of pliers on the alt's bolt :rolleyes2: So I had it respun/rebuilt and its doing 210ish. Anyways what im getting at is... if you pushing some serious juices id do the following: (do 1 by 1 If needed)

big 3 upgrade
better bat
better alt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (sojiaraggs9000 @ Mar 15 2009, 11:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709064
QUOTE (smoothkeys @ Mar 15 2009, 08:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708991
QUOTE (Cheeto @ Mar 15 2009, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708909
Do you still have the old alternator? Take that bad boy to a shop and have it rebuilt for 300 amps.[/b]
yea it's still operating in the car, but every time my subs hit deep note my lights slightly dim im also going to install a capacitor
[/b][/quote]

Caps suck, just do big 3 upgrade. Big 3 will help you alot if not get rid of your problems completely. I had the same problem way back when.. and i did the big 3 and it helpped alot... Then I tried a cap lol.. and drained my bat cuz I hooked it up wrong and it drained. So I added a sexy red top optimum bat. Next I blew my alt cuz I dropped a pair of pliers on the alt's bolt :rolleyes2: So I had it respun/rebuilt and its doing 210ish. Anyways what im getting at is... if you pushing some serious juices id do the following: (do 1 by 1 If needed)

big 3 upgrade
better bat
better alt
[/b][/quote]

thanks but I have one more question, do i need a fuse between my fuse box to battery?? i hear it's essential to avoid electrical fires? true or false

and im really not pushing big power maybe 300 rms from a jack hammer 600 and some autobaun subs

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Fusebox to battery, not necessarily, but battery to alt definitely. Look on the side of the fusebox, there is a panel labeled megafuse, use that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Mar 19 2009, 04:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710436
Fusebox to battery, not necessarily, but battery to alt definitely. Look on the side of the fusebox, there is a panel labeled megafuse, use that.[/b]
still confused :huh: , do i upgrade the fuse in the mega box or do i place a fuse holder between the alt to battery? and if i do, does it go in between alt to fuse or after the mega fuse to battery?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Use the stock megafuse.

Batt>left bolt on megafuse
right bolt on megafuse>alt

The length between the battery and fusebox isnt enough to warrant an additional fuse. The fuse there is enough to handle any draw you need. If you need more power in the future, use an ANL type fuse in it's place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Mar 19 2009, 05:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710454
Use the stock megafuse.

Batt>left bolt on megafuse
right bolt on megafuse>alt

The length between the battery and fusebox isnt enough to warrant an additional fuse. The fuse there is enough to handle any draw you need. If you need more power in the future, use an ANL type fuse in it's place.[/b]
thanks i really appreciate all the help :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: thanks everybody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts