Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Help With 97 Taurus

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  97vulcan 
#1 ·
i had a new waterpump and new timing cover put on the car. a day after i got it back the car died on me. i found out that the antifreeze had mixed in with the oil. i checked the spark plugs and other misc items to see if the head gasket had blown but it doesn't look like it has.

Does anyone know if what was fixed would cause this if it was done wrong????

I have a 97 GL w/ 3.0 engine

#7 ·
i got the car out of the shop on a Wednesday. Thursday morning i had been driving for about 10 minutes and my check engine light came on (that has never happened before) then the car started to miss, then the car died. I had it towed back to my home and started to check what the problem may be, that is when i noticed there was water mixed in with the oil, alot of water. I checked all the spark plugs to see if there was water and them and there wasn't. That makes me think that it isn't a head gasket. I have had the car towed back to the shop and he is checking to see what the problem is.

G
#8 ·
First things first, you need to know what code was stored when the CEL went off.

Water in the oil is a sign of a head gasket. Not saying that's the problem, just that it's a symptom. Since the car is back in the shop, let us know how you make out.

#10 ·
Finally got word on what happened to my car.......apparently one of the mechanics at the shop left a bolt out of the timing chain gears which caused my timing chain cover to break thus causing the antifreeze to mix with the oil. my engine is now ruined and has to be replaced.........this shop had zero negative complaints against them and came highly recommended........

#18 ·
I got my car back on Saturday with the new engine. It seems to run pretty good. It smells like something is burning but I was told that would go away because they filled up all the fluids and may have got some on the motor. I have a 30 day warranty on the motor and I am checking it almost every day to make sure everything is in order.

#19 ·
Mistakes like that happen, even to the best shops. The fact that they admitted they screwed up, and replaced your engine Immediately is pretty impressive to me. I personally wouldn't have a problem going beack there, even after what happened.

G
#21 ·
Originally posted by L0pan@Mar 8 2004, 05:52 PM
30 days only?
If they put in a junkyard engine, that's the standard warranty. Whatever the junkyard gives me for a warranty gets passed on to the customer. Labor, workmanship aside, is not waranteed. In other words, if you buy an engine from a junkyard with a 30 day warranty, and it pukes in 10 days, you get another engine free, but have to pay the labor again.

#22 ·
mistakes do happen and are understandable. however, it took me a week to get the mechanic to finally to arrange for a tow back to his shop. he kept insisting that it wasn't anything he had done even after i had another mechanic come to my home and check the car. the mechanic that came to my home was 100% positive it was something the guy had done. after finally getting it towed to him he didn't look at it for another 3 days. i don't hold anything against the mistake itself its that he was so unwilling to help. then when i picked up the car he acted like he was the victim in all this.

#23 ·
They always do.
That's how they stay in business. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.