Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the site. I'm a big Ford guy and this is one of the nicest and cleanest forums I've seen.

BACKGROUND:
2000 Taurus 3.0 OHV
A couple of weeks ago my grandpa started having issues with his fuel pump not coming on when he turned the key. It wasn't priming. After turning the key a few times it would work and start. This has happened multiple times. The other day it died while he was driving and the engine light came on. I hooked up my scanner and it came up as a "Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Malfunction". I checked with a friend of mine who is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and he said that 95% the pump needs to be replaced. I told him I'd save him the $500 Ford wants to replace it and do it for him.

PROBLEM:
When I went to order the pump the Ford dealer asked what size tank I had. The owners manual says 18, so I ordered the one for an 18 gallon tank. It bothered me that they asked, so I did some research. I read a post where someone said they thought Ford switched to 18 gallon tanks mid 2000, about June. The build date of the car is April... So is the manual wrong? I noticed it says 18 gallon (red label) and 16 gallon (white label). Where is this label?! Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :x:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You'll need to verify your build date. Your VIN label has an indication as to the month/year, but the Ford dealer (at least the ones I've been to) can pull up my exact build date. If you have a flex fuel Taurus (noted by a '2' as the 8th position in the VIN, along with fender badges), then you for certain have an 18 gallon tank. You could also check out under the car to see if a Ford part # is stamped anywhere, and use that as an indication.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Later built 2000 models came with the 18 tank.

The 2000 model I had that was built in June 2000 had the 18. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have noted it is NOT a flex fuel. The VIN is a U, Standard 3.0 OHV. The build date on the door tag is April. Even if the Ford dealer could give me the exact build date, when was the switch? Any info on the "Red Label" / "White Label"? I'm trying to avoid taking the tank out to find I don't have the right one. Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
There's a part number on the tank, it should be stamped on the bottom of the tank, towards the rear on the passenger side.

I'm not sure what the part numbers are for 2000s but someone might be able to look it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts