Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm brand new to this group, and in desperate need of guidance. Have a '90 3.0 6-cyl. Engine starts up and runs fine until warm. Once engine reaches about the "O" in NORMAL on the temp guage, coming off the gas results in the engine just shutting off. In trying to analyze the symptoms I discovered the following: Will run at idle speed, no load (idling at curb) for 1 hour +. But...if I advance the throttle and then release it back to idle, the engine shuts off. This basically approximates the conditions I encounter when driving. If I run the heater on high while driving, I can extend the time it takes before shutdown - I assume because the heater is drawing off the engine heat. Obviously there is something which is shutting down the engine when warm, but I've no clue what it could be. Also, after the engine shuts off, it will not restart until it has cooled to below the bracketed "NORMAL" range on the temp gauge. If it means anything, I recently replaced oil and filter, fuel filter and flushed and refilled radiator. Any guidance, direction or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Any codes? Do you have spark when it won't start? Do you have fuel pressure when it won't start?

You can read you codes your self by counting the flashes of the CEL when shorting out the data link connector pins. SHOtimes Go here and look under the Engine Control part. It takers a few times but it isn't hard to do.

To test for spark, pull one wire off and insert a sparkplug. Ground the plug body with a wire and crank the engine.

To test for fuel crank the engine for a few seconds, then push down on the schrader valve to see if there is any residual fuel pressure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
just thought id throw this out there. but on my dads 92 tempo when it would get hot the fuel pump would would make a humming noise and if you let off the gas it would stall. and if you shut it off and let it cool for 5 min it would be fine for 15 min or so lol...i dont know if this helps at all but hope you get it fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts