Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was driving back home and i was doing about 75/80. Then I felt a clunk as the car shifted out of 4th to third... Well that was weird.. so I gun it and she goes up to 95 and shifts back into 4th at redline. But oddly she only shifts AT redline to 4th, nowhere in between.

Well when i come up on a light, i try to take off normally, and i notice.. wait a second.. I'm STILL IN SECOND! So try as I might she wont shift to 1st. I then stop the car, put it to first and she shifts into FIRST. VICTORY! Then as she accellerates, I drop it into drive, and she Pops into SECOND. Then later into third, so I drop it into drive and she shifts to FOURTH! SWEET!

But wait.. then she drops back into third and wont shift into 4th again. GOD DAMN IT!

So I go to slow down and stop, then accellerate and shes not going back into first again.

Anyone have any Idea?

3.0L OHV V6 Vulcan
AX4N
Tranny Changed at 60K
Current Mileage 98K
Fluid is STILL Pinkish, but has a slight odor.

Summary:
-Wont shift into first at take off even in WOT.
-Wont shift into 4th at speed (in normal Drive) unless at redline in WOT
-ONLY Shifts into 1st Manually.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Today i was driving back home and i was doing about 75/80. Then I felt a clunk as the car shifted out of 4th to third... Well that was weird.. so I gun it and she goes up to 95 and shifts back into 4th at redline. But oddly she only shifts AT redline to 4th, nowhere in between.

Well when i come up on a light, i try to take off normally, and i notice.. wait a second.. I'm STILL IN SECOND! So try as I might she wont shift to 1st. I then stop the car, put it to first and she shifts into FIRST. VICTORY! Then as she accellerates, I drop it into drive, and she Pops into SECOND. Then later into third, so I drop it into drive and she shifts to FOURTH! SWEET!

But wait.. then she drops back into third and wont shift into 4th again. GOD DAMN IT!

So I go to slow down and stop, then accellerate and shes not going back into first again.

Anyone have any Idea?

3.0L OHV V6 Vulcan
AX4N
Tranny Changed at 60K
Current Mileage 98K
Fluid is STILL Pinkish, but has a slight odor.

Summary:
-Wont shift into first at take off even in WOT.
-Wont shift into 4th at speed (in normal Drive) unless at redline in WOT
-ONLY Shifts into 1st Manually. [/b]
Check your battery connections and make sure that they are not loose also, do you have anything drawing a large current from your battery? I had a large current draw from my amps, and it caused my Sable to shift weird, so I would check that out.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your battery connections and make sure that they are not loose also, do you have anything drawing a large current from your battery? I had a large current draw from my amps, and it caused my Sable to shift weird, so I would check that out.
[/b]
All that checks out, I'm not drawing more than foglamps and headlights.. so.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump? I need my car for the rest of this week, I really need help.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Maybe see if a transmission shop can run a diagnosis for you, scan for transmission codes? Have you checked for any codes through the OBDII port?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe see if a transmission shop can run a diagnosis for you, scan for transmission codes? Have you checked for any codes through the OBDII port?
[/b]
Haven't checked for codes, but haven't had SES come up either. I'll check.

UPDATE:

-She shifts to 4th just fine now.
-Still wont shift to 1st without using 1st on gear select
-Clunks to third, and does it too quickly

I'm going to try resetting the PCM

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well I got some Bad news, I just finished replacing the trans pan gasket and all the fluid. My pan magnet was terribly ferrous.

Heres a pic. That clean spot is from me and my friend seeing how bad it was for comparison.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok well I got some Bad news, I just finished replacing the trans pan gasket and all the fluid. My pan magnet was terribly ferrous.

Heres a pic. That clean spot is from me and my friend seeing how bad it was for comparison.

[/b]
Update: I took it for several runs and she shifts great. In gears 2-3-4. It STILL wont shift into first. I'm thinking TRS. Anyone else think so?

Also, SES light JUST came on when I started it after changing the fluid. I'm going to go get the code read tomorrow.

I'm really thinking this is the TRS. Anyone else think so?

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Geez, that magnet looks horrible. I have never seen one with that large particles or that many particles on it. I would say you have an internal mechanical tranny problem :(

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geez, that magnet looks horrible. I have never seen one with that large particles or that many particles on it. I would say you have an internal mechanical tranny problem :(
[/b]
I was thinking that too, but maybe that the TRS isnt sending the correct voltage to the tranny when shes in drive but sends it when its shifted to first.. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Before replacng the TRS, I would find some one with a scan tool (not a code reader) that can read PIDs so you can see what the TRS is telling the PCM. I am still betting on an internal trans problem with all that crap on the magnet. When the trans was replaced, was it a new / reman unit or one from a JY?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before replacng the TRS, I would find some one with a scan tool (not a code reader) that can read PIDs so you can see what the TRS is telling the PCM. I am still betting on an internal trans problem with all that crap on the magnet. When the trans was replaced, was it a new / reman unit or one from a JY?
[/b]
Brand new from the Ford Factory Specifically for my Taurus. $3,585.98.

Just came back from autozone and SHE'S DROPPING INTO FIRST!!!! :banana:

WEWT!

My hypothesis is that the valve body got jammed with all the crud in the trans fluid, and I fixed it by cleaning it.

But the codes were:

<strike>P1100 MAFS Null reading</strike> (I was seafoaming it and didn't have the mafs hooked up)

P0500 VSS Malfunction <<<<This might have been the cause. I'm buying a new VSS just in case and keeping it in stock.

Both codes are clear and NO problems recorded so far. I will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Well she's now dropping from 4th to third randomly.

This seems like a TRS issue no?

I'll try resetting the PCM. Hopefully that will cure it of this random od drop.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do u still have warranty on your transmission? That much crudd means u have a failing unit, how many miles are on that remain? When was the last time u dropped the pan to change the fluid? Do any neutral drops? I once dropped the pan on my friend's Iroc Z after he bought it and it looked just like that, but it was still shifting fine, the last owner must have had some fun with it before selling it, as the fluid was still pink. He tradded it in before the tranny went, lol

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do u still have warranty on your transmission? That much crudd means u have a failing unit, how many miles are on that remain? When was the last time u dropped the pan to change the fluid? Do any neutral drops? I once dropped the pan on my friend's Iroc Z after he bought it and it looked just like that, but it was still shifting fine, the last owner must have had some fun with it before selling it, as the fluid was still pink. He tradded it in before the tranny went, lol
[/b]
No I dont, If I did I woulda used it as soon as I was having trouble ;)

I got it changed at 60K and now its 98K.

I changed the fluid about 3 days ago.

Never done any neutral drops because I'm not stupid. :glare:

I'm not having any slipping.

Its just randomly dropping out of OD. So I really think its more along the lines of the Tranny control systems.

Ugh I wish I had a manual. :glare:

·
Registered
388 Posts
You need as rebuild period homey.
No getting around it. That much metal on the magnet tells the tale.
You probably have worn frictions, worn steel's, and some hard parts eaten up. I would just have it rebuilt.
Its not that bad to remove and replace your self if you have a place to get out of the weather to do it. Removing it and installing it your self weill save you around 1000 in labor.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You had a code for the VSS, and a failing VSS would cause weird shifting problems. You should either replace it, since you said you were gonna get one anyway, or take it to someone who can monitor the VSS signal while driving to see what it's doing.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need as rebuild period homey.
No getting around it. That much metal on the magnet tells the tale.
You probably have worn frictions, worn steel's, and some hard parts eaten up. I would just have it rebuilt.
Its not that bad to remove and replace your self if you have a place to get out of the weather to do it. Removing it and installing it your self weill save you around 1000 in labor.
[/b]
I'm trying to postpone the inevitable. I need it to last me till June then I can work on it and should have another ride by then for the rebuild.

You had a code for the VSS, and a failing VSS would cause weird shifting problems. You should either replace it, since you said you were gonna get one anyway, or take it to someone who can monitor the VSS signal while driving to see what it's doing.
[/b]
I'm waiting for the SES to come up again and I'm going to hook up a VSS Pigtail and have my friend use his diagnostic laptop to check it out.

I would replace the vss first, but take all that metal as a sign of what is to come :angryfire:
[/b]
Hopefully she will last me till June. :x:

Ps... she's behaving for now.. hopefully the crud is being cleaned by the filter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts