Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Taurus with a V6 Vulcan engine and auto trans. After it warms up, the car will "stumble" at idle. This is more than just a miss. The engine rpms will drop about 100 momentarily (800>700). I can hear a "clinking/clunking" noise when it does this. It seems to drive/accelerate/cruise ok.

Any ideas?

B

·
0 Posts
Most likely the IAC motor. It's on the top of the upper intake, on the driver's side. It's about 1" in diameter, and about 2.5 " long, and attaches with two screws. There's also a wiring harness on it. It gets carboned up and sticky, causing improper amounts of air to enter at idle. You won't feel it much when accelerating, though. I would suggest to take it off, clean it with some throttle body or carb cleaner, and put it back on. If this doesn't solve the problem, the IAC may be defective and need replacement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of this, i haven't the foggiest what it looks like. A pic with it circled would be a lifesaver! Christmas has tightened up the wallet so trying to see if i can do it myself first.

B

·
0 Posts
Carb cleaner should work fine. Normally they don't need to be replaced, just a good cleaning is required.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seemed to be a little bit better, should i expect immediate results or will it work the rest out after the cleaning?. Was i supposed to spray down the manifold at all or just the actual IAC ? If i dont see results in a few days i'm going to buy one anyway.

B

·
0 Posts
I should work almost instantly. You don't need to spray the upper intake. Make sure the gasket is fine, and there are no vaccuum leaks. Then, disconnect the battery to clear the computer so the car can relearn idle and all that stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok it worked temporarily and after a day it started again, thinkin this means i need to replace it. Anyone know the part number or specs i need to ask for specifically?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Ender0Wiggin@Dec 25 2003, 11:45 PM
Ok it worked temporarily and after a day it started again, thinkin this means i need to replace it. Anyone know the part number or specs i need to ask for specifically?
Tell them the year and engine, and that you want an IAC motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
whelp, i replaced the IAC motor and reset the computer by unplugging the battery for 2 hours. Still no dice, it seems like it helped it a little but it still stumbles when in drive or reverse, particularly reverse. When i put it in reverse it rpms up high when going from nuetral to reverse and then as fast as it goes up it goes down and then stalls(sometimes does this in drive too), also at stop signs the car will shudder at like 500rpm and thenlose it all together. Any other suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts