Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 Sable 24v Duratec has a horrible idle problem. When I first start it, it will not stay on unless I keep my foot on the gas.
After that, it idles really rough while parked or at a stop light but runs ok when I drive, but only until it's fully warm. then the jerking and hesitating starts. When this happens, it won't go over 30mph and constantly stalls.
Right now it doesn't have any codes.
P0320 was the last one and since it started this I have done the following.

Spark Plugs and Wires
DPFE sensor
Mass Airflow Sensor
Crank position sensor

And now it has no codes but still runs like crap. What can I do. I can't afford to buy another car.

Please help. Any advices is greatly appreciated. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Distributor cap? Assuming 96's have one.

I know my mazda did the same thing when distributor cap went and my dodge stealth did the same when my coil pack and plug wires went.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The idling problems sound exactly like my car the other day when I messed up the IAC valve sensor (just replaced it). I could see the engine shake while idling, then when I stepped on the gas pedal it got better and drove fine. It'd eventually stall out. But I don't think the warm engine only going 30mph while you're on the gas would fall under that, unless maybe it's two separate issues. Maybe worth checking the IAC valve though?

Edit: By the way I messed up the IAC valve trying to clean it with throttle body cleaner. People are def. able to clean them in some cars, but for my 94 taurus it made it worse. The part was really old though. Replacing it's as easy as brushing your teeth though. The whole adventure is in the "Did I screw up my IAC valve" thread not far from this one :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I had my civic hatch it did all of the same as well because of the IACV other than the not going over 30. I took it off and cleaned it, that worked for a couple days, but sometimes it's better to replace it. Not sure if you can clean them on these cars though. I had to idle the honda high though, if I adjusted it to idle normally it would refuse to go above 20mph. Needless to say I ditched it ha ha.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Distributor cap? Assuming 96's have one.

I know my mazda did the same thing when distributor cap went and my dodge stealth did the same when my coil pack and plug wires went.
Coil Pack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts