Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG. the hubbie just called, and he drove through a flooded area on the road, he said he couldn't see it. he was going about 15mph. than he stalled and the car won't start now. water went up my cold air intake in my wheelwell. so, its still pouring out and we are trying to get it towed. but what do we do now? is the car wrecked? he said the water was up to the floor boards when he went thru it. other people stalled, but of course there cars started back up cause they didn't have a CAI. i need help asap!! only car....ahhhh... i pray that the engine isn't wrecked now.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
well, it could go either way honestly. You could have hydrolocked your engine, or you could have just gotten the MAF and such wet.

Either way, youre in for some repair$. :(

-DC

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
That bad huh? :blink:

Well, worst case its totaled, and you can get a rental for a few weeks, provided by the insurance company.

Is the car still in the puddle or what?

-DC

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by duratecchie@May 21 2004, 03:36 PM
well, it could go either way honestly. You could have hydrolocked your engine, or you could have just gotten the MAF and such wet.

Either way, youre in for some repair$. :(

-DC
ahhh man. and i just changed the spark plugs, the wires, and the oil a couple days ago. this sucks. whats the worse that could of happened? is it possible i'll need a new engine? with my luck, probably.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by duratecchie@May 21 2004, 03:43 PM
That bad huh? :blink:

Well, worst case its totaled, and you can get a rental for a few weeks, provided by the insurance company.

Is the car still in the puddle or what?

-DC
ahh totaled? and we still owe over a year of payments on it. no its not in the road anymore, he pushed it into a parking lot.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is the engine cranking at all? If it's cranking then the engine should be ok, but it's the electronics I would be worried about (MAF, IAT, etc...).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wouldn't say the car is totaled. I would pull the CAI apart and see how wet it really got. Things may just need to dry out.

I saw that you just got blasted with storms (my parents live out there).

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he got the car started, but the engine is clicking really bad now while its running. should i just change the oil and plugs and stuff and let everything dry? why would it be clicking so loud? he said it was driving fine though. besides the loud clicking.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@May 21 2004, 03:55 PM
he got the car started, but the engine is clicking really bad now while its running. should i just change the oil and plugs and stuff and let everything dry? why would it be clicking so loud? he said it was driving fine though. besides the loud clicking.
I would just let it dry out for a few days, then see how it is. Clicking could be anything. I would guess it would be something belt related, but I could be wrong.

-Damon

·
Registered
193 Posts
It depends on where the clicking is coming from and when it happens. Pull the dipstick and see if it has water in it. Water could have gotten in the oil through the crankcase vents. Is it clicking as the engine revs or does it click only when it's rolling?

I'm sure the intake is pretty wet at this point. It should be pulled apart to make sure all is dry. The air filter I'm sure will need a good cleaning and re-oiling. Plugs should be ok.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the engine is clicking as its running and idleing. i'll have to go look right now and see where its coming from. one thing i did notice though, is that our engine coolant was very low, i was gonna change it this weekend, and now the container is half full. which i'm assuming is water.

X

·
0 Posts
After it stalled, the car should have been towed, then have the plugs removed to let the water evaporate. If it is clicking, I honestly do not know what would be broken. The good news is that vulcan engines are cheap and easy to work on.

Did you not have a bypass on the cai?

·
Registered
193 Posts
See if the clicking is coming from the block or under the valve covers. It could be anything, but hopefully it's not internal. If it's internal then you could have bigger issues. If it is, try not to run it too much. Water shouldn't have gotten into the coolant because it's a sealed system. It could be half-full now because it's warm.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@May 21 2004, 04:01 PM
After it stalled, the car should have been towed, then have the plugs removed to let the water evaporate. If it is clicking, I honestly do not know what would be broken. The good news is that vulcan engines are cheap and easy to work on.

Did you not have a bypass on the cai?
Haha, yeah, ask bob how nice it is to replace a vulcan. ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
She's got a Duratec doesn't she?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I see she has a Vulcan. DUH! :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Sounds like the engine was partially hydrolocked. As we all know water is NOT compressible like air is. When you get water in the combustion chambers, some part of the engine will break. Hopefully it was something cheap, but I doubt it. Rods or rod bearings usually take the brunt of the force in a hydrolocked engine. A broken rod sounds more like a loud clunking noise... not like what you are describing. At any rate, don't run the engine anymore. Just get it checked out by a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm really sorry about the car. I would definitely pull the plugs and let everything evaporate for a day or so. Also, change the oil, just in case water got in via the crankcase vents.

JR

1 - 20 of 79 Posts