Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 taurus is overheating. We've changed the radiator, thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, fan, radiator cap, & heater core. It does fine for short trips but after 30 mins or so the temperature gauge starts to rise. Once the temperature goes up the water spills from radiator when car stops. No water or smoke from exhaust though... Please any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you changed out all the majors. There is also the bypass that has been known to get rusted and restrict water flow. Don't overlook electrical sensors also. I best leave the electrical sensor idea to others that can point out the right ones to check. Did you double check that the themostat is working correct.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Do the fans turn on when it gets hot? Do they turn on with the AC? Does the temperature gauge indicate overheating? I would suggest a compression test to see if you have a failed head gasket or there is a test kit that you use to see if there is exhaust gas in your degas bottle. Also your degas bottle cap may be faulty, is it a Dorman brand. Maybe Autozone has a cap test kit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would check for head gasket leak. I know you said no smoke from exhaust but pay attention to the first startup after it's come back from a drive. Maybe start by pulling the spark plugs to see if there's any sign of fouling from burning coolant. When did the overheating start, was it before any of the work you described and were there any other issues leading up to it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you changed out all the majors. There is also the bypass that has been known to get rusted and restrict water flow. Don't overlook electrical sensors also. I best leave the electrical sensor idea to others that can point out the right ones to check. Did you double check that the themostat is working correct.
Hubby put in a brand new thermostat. So I know he checked his work after. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check for head gasket leak. I know you said no smoke from exhaust but pay attention to the first startup after it's come back from a drive. Maybe start by pulling the spark plugs to see if there's any sign of fouling from burning coolant. When did the overheating start, was it before any of the work you described and were there any other issues leading up to it?
It was parked for a while before I got it. Used it about a week then overheating began. So we started the elimination process changing parts.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
Test the coolant for combustion gasses, verify thecorrect degas bottle pressure cap and it's functionality. As was asked above, are the fans coming on when the a/c compressor is on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 02 taurus is overheating. We've changed the radiator, thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, fan, radiator cap, & heater core. It does fine for short trips but after 30 mins or so the temperature gauge starts to rise. Once the temperature goes up the water spills from radiator when car stops. No water or smoke from exhaust though... Please any suggestions?
Check timing it might have a jumped teeth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hubby put in a brand new thermostat. So I know he checked his work after. Thanks
Given all the new parts that have already tried on this vehicle, I would go back to the basics with first try running the engine without a thermostat. No guarantee that a new thermostat is good. It's known to have happened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given all the new parts that have already tried on this vehicle, I would go back to the basics with first try running the engine without a thermostat. No guarantee that a new thermostat is good. It's known to have happened.
Ok. Will give that a try. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
As unlikely as it may seem the lower radiator hose could be going soft and collapsing at higher speed restricting coolant flow in radiator.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
KillrRABBIT
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing