Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was installin an aftermarket radio on my girlfriends 97 sable and i ranned all the speaker wires to the front. I also ranned all the amp cables. I grabbed my constant, switch and ground wire from the front cables for the a/c (or so i think) anyways everything was workin fine a/c was blowin cold and radio was turning on.... but after installin the aftermarket radio in its full my a/c and illumination on stock dont work.... the front defrost turn on every time i turn the car on but wont turn off....checked fuses and all are fine.... what could be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Disconnect constant 12V, switched 12V and ground (put it back like it was) and see if climate control works correctly again. Just using random wires you find for power / ground is a bad idea. Many wires may appear to have 12 V when measuring with a DMM, but are control / signal / data wires that can only supply very limited current, and are not fused. Trying to pull lots of current from them can and will fry modules real quick.

If you are going to do anything electrical on any modern car you arent 100% familiar with you NEED wiring diagrams!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love me a challenge! :D....... i connected all wires as they where, but still nothing. is there anyway of checkin the modules and how will i know if thats the problem? (thanks for the help so far!)

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
You will need a "professional" grade scan tool that can read B (body), C (chassis) and U (network) codes from all the modules. These are big $$, and usually only dealers and decent indy shops have them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn sounds like a pretty penny....well i might just get the modules and replace them all, hopefully it will fix the problem. Thanks for the help! Ill post on sat and let you know how it goes......

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Replace all the modules? You have got to be kidding. If you plan on that, I hope you have DEEP pockets.

I am not telling you that you have fried a module, I am saying it is a possibility. Do not throw parts at the car, do a systematic diagnosis using the proper tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok. so i replaced the accesory relay and connected the radio the way i had it in the begening. (I looked up the wiring diagram), now my problem is that my aftermarket radio turns on but my a/c only turns on when the stereo is on radio mode but when I play a cd my a/c turns off.... what should I look at? what could be the prob?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have everything workin fine now, the a/c turns on with my aftermarket stereo. All i had to do was install 10A fuses for the radio instead of the 5A's it has. Not perfect yet but will get it as close as possible. Still goin to mess with it some more. if and when I do get it rite, Ill let you guys know how to install a stereo without the harness. Cheaper and faster(once everything is rite.) =)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i have everything workin fine now, the a/c turns on with my aftermarket stereo. All i had to do was install 10A fuses for the radio instead of the 5A's it has. Not perfect yet but will get it as close as possible. Still goin to mess with it some more. if and when I do get it rite, Ill let you guys know how to install a stereo without the harness. Cheaper and faster(once everything is rite.) =)
Sounds like your radio is pulling more voltage than it should. I would run a dedicated switched 12v and fuse it properly.

Simply upping a fuse can cause long term problems and possibly cause a fire from putting excessive loads on the harness. :mellow:

Something is wrong if your radio is turning your AC on and off.. :huh:

·
Registered
587 Posts

never replace a fuse with a biger one can cause a fire. if the other guy keys in on this you will see a car that burned to the ground. because of wireing right off the battery no fuse in 1/0 wire. even that little wire can cause a bad fire like this one if not carefull. i will see if i can find the link but no telling hope the other guy keys in on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Concur. I damn near set myself on fire when I did that once...after installing an aftermarket stereo, no less. These days I run independent power sources using appropriately-sized wires, fuses, and relays.
what exactly was it that almost set your car on fire? I wouldnt want that so i might just end up disconnecting my radio and findin a new way.... I tried gettin my constant power, my ground and ilumination from the ashtray and cigar lighter but the stereo wouldnt work so I rewired it as I had it in the begenin.... If you have any tips, Please do tell... thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts