Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it all began the other day when i was going go to the store and as I drive around the block from the house the car dies as if it had ran out of fuel ...so I park it on the side of the road... after several attempts to restart the engine the car would start but only for a few seconds then it would die... so I waited a few minutes and it would start but would die after a few seconds... so i finally was able to get the car started so I can take it back to the house.
After i parked it I then tried to restart the car again but nothing.

this is leading me to think it might be either the fuel pump or the fuel filter gone bad.... right now I checked the inertia fuel pump switch and the button was pressed down...why or how is beyond me.... so i tried to trip the switch back up with a screw driver, then tried to restart the car but still nothing....

can anyone please help me fix this issue?

thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
so it all began the other day when i was going go to the store and as I drive around the block from the house the car dies as if it had ran out of fuel ...so I park it on the side of the road... after several attempts to restart the engine the car would start but only for a few seconds then it would die... so I waited a few minutes and it would start but would die after a few seconds... so i finally was able to get the car started so I can take it back to the house.

this is leading me to think it might be either the fuel pump or the fuel filter gone bad.... right now I checked the inertia fuel pump switch and the button was pressed down...why or how is beyond me.... so i tried to trip the switch back up with a screw driver, then tried to restart the car but still nothing....

thanks!
check for spark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts

thanks!
The red button should be down.

Question is: is your pump running? If not why not?

Is there power to the inertia switch?

And this, at least the DOHC in '02 and later use a variable voltage to adjust the pump pressure. So, a measured voltage below 12 might be normal.

-chart-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The red button should be down.

Question is: is your pump running? If not why not?

Is there power to the inertia switch?

And this, at least the DOHC in '02 and later use a variable voltage to adjust the pump pressure. So, a measured voltage below 12 might be normal.

-chart-
any chance it can it be the alternator??

by the way....i tried listening to see if the gas pump comes on when i switch the key to where the dashboard lights up but i don't hear anything so this has me believing its a bad gas pump... anyone out there that really knows their car mechanics help plzz

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Have a helper turn on the ignition while you get down next to the tank to listen for the pump.
If you don't hear the pump come on, smack the tank with a rubber mallet at the same time your assistant turns on the key. Sometimes that will start a stuck pump, it has for me in the past.
A fuel pressure test gauge is the sure way to check for fuel pressure.
Alternator charges the battery, if the battery has enough juice to crank the motor normally then it has enough to run the fuel pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts