Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what this piece is but i heard a big clunk coming into my driveway and when i looked under the right rear I found a rod that looks like it snapped off at the threads. I have a pic of the good one and a couple of the bad (right rear). How dangerous is it to drive like this. It is saturday and no shops are open. Do i need to have it towed (AAA thank God). ANY help would truly be appreciated.

Good_sm.jpg

bad_sm_1.jpg

bad_sm_2.jpg

bad_sm_3.jpg

I have larger photo's if they are needed but tried to post smaller.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thats the rear sway bar end link. It wount hurt anything in driving it to your house etc. Thats a cheap and easy part to replace too if you do it yourself. Its about $16-$20 for a whole new rear link and bushings. While your at it.....replace the other side too.

The bottom tip of the link/rod broke off and the lower bushings fell off too. So your rear sway bar is bumping ("clunking") against the broken endlink rod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Do shops charge a lot for this. I don't even have a floor jack but if they charge very much to do it for me i'll buy one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure how much they would charge for the labor.....I would think 1/2 hour......maybe 1 hour if they did both sides. And not sure how much the shop would charge you for the parts.....you could go to Autozone or AdvancedAuto and purcchase a rear sway bar endlink kit by yourself. One endlink kit at Autozone is about 20-$22. If you had both sides done you would have to get two. But I guess some shops refuse to install customers parts.....so you would really need to call the shop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, i picked up 2 kits, floor jack with 2 stands and a crawler from autozone for $90. once i knew the name of the part i found a walkthrough here showing the process i'll follow tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay i've run into a problem. I can't seem to get the link into both connection points at the same time. The new is just a little bit longer but the rubber grommits aren't compressed at all. Is there a trick to getting the link in without damaging anything. I just don't want to pry on something that i shouldn't

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Its easiest to do with both endlinks removed. Start and hand-tighten nuts on both sides. First time i did it, i used a floor jack or my foot (leg) to line things up. I was only doing 1 side at the time. Much easier to replace with entire swaybar free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DONE. i had to use the floor jack to lift on the wheel assembly compressing the shocks. My knuckles hurt, there isn't much room in there is there??? Thank you so much for all the help.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Much easier with both rears off the ground and both old endlinks removed and positioning and starting both new links by hand before the final tightening. Glad you got it fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts