Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My check engine light came on this weekend and the code is P0401 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation issue. I’ve noticed that the car is experiencing some hesitation when accelerating and “pinging” when climbing a hill or accelerating at low rpm. I hoping there is some experience with this issue out there and some of you can point me in the right direction for fixing this myself. Where should I start? Should I just replace the EGR valve? Thanks!!

The car is a 1999 3.0 Vulcan

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
My check engine light came on this weekend and the code is P0401 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation issue. I’ve noticed that the car is experiencing some hesitation when accelerating and “pinging” when climbing a hill or accelerating at low rpm. I hoping there is some experience with this issue out there and some of you can point me in the right direction for fixing this myself. Where should I start? Should I just replace the EGR valve? Thanks!!

The car is a 1999 3.0 Vulcan
EGR valve depends on vacuum from the control valve, and that depends on vacuum supply to the manifold. Check all lines and the power to the control valve. Easy to find, the line from the EGR valve goes to the control valve which has the electric plug. The other line from the valve goes to the manifold. Any leak or missing connection can effect the EGR.

The DPFE sensor measures the pressure and controlls the whole thing.

From the EGR valve there is a pipe with insulation on it going to the exhaust manifold on the firewall side of the engine. From that pipe two small pipes close together goes to a black box with an electric connector. This is the DPFE. It may be vertical standing only on it's rubber connector lines, or bolted to the head.

Best of luck.

-chart-

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
You need a new dpfe (egr pressure sensor). Source it from advance auto or oreilly. Borg-warner part# egr155.
Think I would first do the small hose in the mouth attached to the EGR valve for checking that the mechanical parts actually work. Easy and first things first. My DPFE gave me a excess flow reading and code. Junk yard replacement and has done no code for couple months. DPFE could go either way but vacuum line off or broken would cause no flow, and pinging.

Also, always a chance vacuum line off along the way and check visuals also before buying parts. IMHO.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The "sucking into the EGR valve" technique is the cheapest way to find out if the valve and associated passages are good/bad/clogged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the "suck" test and the engine rpm decreased and the engine stumbled. However, The DPFE looks really new. I took the cap off and the sponge on the inside is clean as a whistle and soft and pliable - not a bit dirty, dusty, brittle, or deteriorating. It doesn't appear to be over a couple years old. I've only had the car a month so I don't know for sure what has been replaced recently.

The EGR valve, on the other hand looks old. I'm going to take take it off and check the passages before I replace anything.

BTW, the check engine light has been going on and off. It is off right now. Must be something just starting to go bad.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The IAC has such a cap & filter.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ Or maybe the evr (egr solenoid) on the pass. side of the uim (manifold)? Imo, youre making this way too hard. Replace the dpfe with the part# listed above and clear the code.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
^ Or maybe the evr (egr solenoid) on the pass. side of the uim (manifold)? Imo, youre making this way too hard. Replace the dpfe with the part# listed above and clear the code.
We still don't know the DPFE is bad. The second page of this article is great for testing Ford's DPFE sensor. I used it on my 97 Taurus.

http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt36.pdf

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
We still don't know the DPFE is bad. The second page of this article is great for testing Ford's DPFE sensor. I used it on my 97 Taurus.

http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt36.pdf
I agree in this case. With a clear failure of the system as seen by pinging which looks like no ERG when the process is expecting it. The suck test of the EGR valve looks like the valve and pipes are working. Good time to check all the plumbing. DPFE hoses can fail or get pulled off.

Good article in the reference. As for me, I got one at the JY and trial fixed mine. BUT, mine was a quite different case, a hard one. I would get a cel maybe once every few weeks and never changed for the 7 years I had the car. I had to jocky around to get it past inspections. My CarChip told me it happened in the same type of driving each time. Warm engine, stopped for 5 to 15 minutes, like shopping, and then on startup immediate excess flow EGR and sets the light. Put on DPFE from JY and has not happened in 3 months, not even a pending code. So my old DPFE would likely test good. Just borderline, or intermittent.

Thanks for the linked article.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ Chart, again imo, you got lucky with the jy dpfe. Given their high failure rate, for me, theyre not a good candidate for a jy replacement part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not experienced when it comes to the EGR and DPFE. I've attached a photo that shows the cap on what I thought was the DPFE. Note that this is not my Taurus since I don't have a digital camera. But it shows the item I'm talking about circled in yellow. The cap is on the upper right of the circle at the 2 o'clock position. If you remove the cap you'll find a sponge filter under it. I guess this is not the DPFE, eh?

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
^ The black plastic cap is part of the evr (egr solenoid). The dpfe has the gray elec. plug with 2 silicone sampling hoses attached and 2- 8mm (5/16") mounting cap screws.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Other than vacuum hoses and elec. conn., our bulls have 3 egr components: egr valve (rarely fails, but gets carboned up once in awhile), evr (egr solenoid which rarely fails) and the dpfe (egr feedback pressure sensor). Ive had to replace many over the years for the po401-402 codes. Definitely the weakest link in the egr chain. If you replace the sensor, clear the code with a scan tool or by disconnecting negative (ground) battery cable for a few minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Would not hurt to run a can of seafoam through gas. I also have run through vacuum lines. Helped get over a 401 in a duratec.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The black round thing with a sponge inside is a vacuum regulator just FYI. DPFE failures are quite common, in fact I think I'll go replace mine just because it has been 50K since I replaced it last lol.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Definitely the weakest link in the egr chain.
You forgot the EGR passage in the aluminium UIM (for the engines that have that) :) My sensor is just fine, but I already cleaned that passage twice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts