Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brake pads need replacement (about 28,000 miles). I've done pads on other vehicles before so I know the basics, but would appreciate any helpful tips you might have. For example, do I need to remove both caliper bolts, or will the caliper flip up by just removing the bottom bolt. Do the pistons require the "twist" tool for compression? Any specical issues with the parking brake? etc. Photos are always helpful.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If they are the standard Ford rear calipers then yes you can just remove one bolt to flip them out. And they probably do need to have the caliper piston screwed in clockwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might as well change Rotors 46 bucks apiece at auto zone. you do not need to put up grades rotors in back most of braking is done with front. found this helpful info from people at another forum take your time. and only take apart one at a time. in case you need to see how to put back together. the tool to remove rear rotor is a #40 torx. it is easy. make sure you pump brakes to adjust them & making sure the pedal is hard.
To move the piston back into the caliper, the LH driver side piston is turned clockwise and the RH (passenger) piston is turned counterclockwise. NOTE: A moderate to heavy force toward the caliper piston must be applied. If sufficient force is not applied, the internal park brake mechanism clutch cone will not engage and the piston will not compress. Using the special tool (or equivalent such as OTC tool 7317A), compress the brake caliper piston into its cylinder.

Autozone 27111 is the brake caliper tool I rented. It works better for the side that is turned clockwise. You kind of have to screw with it to make the other side work - but you'll see. Make sure that the slots in the caliper piston are lined up to accomodate the pins on the back of the pads before reassembling.

Wow, I can't believe this... I just went to Harbor Freight's website and it looks like they have the same caliper kit on sale for $9.87 marked down from $29.00. Item # 40732 if you want to go to their site and check it out. Guess I'm going there tomorrow first thing. OTC 7317A Disc Brake Caliper (Tool Kit I didn't pull the rear rotors off my cars when I did the rear brakes, seeing as how they were still in nice shape and not warped. But, if they're like the front rotors there is a # 40 torx tool needed to get the disc-to-hub hold-down bolt off. And the caliper brackets have to come off, too.)

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Both sides on my 98 & 99 are turned clockwise to compress the piston? I would remove both caliper bolts to inspect, clean and relube slide pins. Since rears arent done as often as fronts, the pins are notorious for seizing up. No torx tool needed to remove rotor. Iirc, caliper bolts require 13mm and mount brk. 15mm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are Correct. 1998 99 ARE GEN 4. am i wrong the question was about Gen 5. just did mine and the tips the other members give are correct for a gen 5 Please correct me if i am wrong. the point of these forums is to get the right info thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts