Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I was wondering if the transmission from a 3.8L taurus wagon would work for a 3.0L Taurus Sedan?

thanks for any help guys. sorry if its a no-brainer.. just curious is all

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I don't know but if you want to upgrade, is the ATX sho tranny an option? it would handle more power although the sho tranny can be a bit pricy if purchased new.

why do you ask? planning anything interesting or just for longevity?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh um nope... my taurus has an ax4n and its brand new..

But.. my brother gave me a 1994 Taurus Wagon with a blown head gasket
and one of my friends has a 1994 Taurus Sedan with a blown tranny, I figured i could sell him the tranny from the wagon (If it works) and i plan to do a tear down and rebuild on the 3.8 (hopefully to DMX's specs, with the supercharger and all =])

So.. basically i just wanted to know if i COULD sell my friend the tranny cheap or if it would be useless to him

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
oh i'm only 75% sure so I don't want to say either way. so sorry I can't help

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Yes and no.

you can use the transmission from a 1994 Vulcan on an Essex, and vice versa, but there's a caveat:

With the exception of the police package, the vulcan and essex AX4S have different final drive ratios (3.37 for the vulcan; 3.19 for the essex). As a result of the different ratios, mixing and matching the transmissions will cause a DTC to be set, and you will lose torque converter lockup. This will shorten the life of the transmission (been there, trust me), especially with any excessive highway driving.

The SHO transmission has a final drive of 3.49 or something like that, as well as a slightly different bellhousing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks hamal!

so basically.. if i just GAVE him the tranny.. itll get him going for a while.. but sooner or later the tranny is gunna drop dead again.

=] thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts