Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just found this forum and I hope you guys that are familiar with our car might be able to help us diagnose what ails it.
A little background, it's a 1993 Taurus GL 3.0L SOHC (U code) with just shy of 146K on the clock. I bought it in '04 with 33K. In the seven years I've owned it, it has never really given me any trouble. We've replaced the starter, plugs, wires and performed the necessary pm. The fuel system was cleaned about 3 years ago.
Now to the problem at hand. Left to go to work Monday, pulled onto concrete pad in front of house (about 1.5 inch step from gravel onto concrete), car either popped or kind of clunked is the best way I can describe it. It actually sounded like the driver's door popped open. In fact the hubby asked me if I didn't get it closed good. Door was closed. Not thinking anything of it, I backed back out into the driveway and drove down the driveway and pulled onto the road. About 1 min or so after the clunk, the check engine light came on and car went into limp mode. Drove about 1/8 mil down the road to turn around, came home and backed back into garage. There was a strong exhaust smell. We turned car off and went to work in our other DD.
Yesterday we got the cable to use our Actron scanner and hooked it up. Car is still in limp mode (when key is in run position, fan and fuel pump come on and stay on), car will turn over but will not start and will not communicate with the scanner. We have checked all fuses (major and minor), checked the scanner on another vehicle and everything checks out.
Is there a way we can pull the code manually??? Or other ideas of what we might check? We are loathe to have the car towed to the dealer to fix when we have everything (including a lift) necessary to fix it if we could only find out what is wrong with it.
Thank you for any help or suggestions you might have!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i agree.... sounds like a cat problem. if you unhook at the y pipe the car should start with no problem. if it does then thats the problem. you can hollow out the cat, cut it out or replace it put thats costly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick responses! We will definitely check out the possibility of a cat problem tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, it is not the cat. :( The last test we tried was to jump the #2 pin on the ECM to the STI wire and 12V to pin #4 to do the 'wiggle test'. We got the CEL to come on solid in the key off/engine off state. Then wiggled whatever we could think of and nothing caused it to start blinking a code. We're thinking computer failure???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts