Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I sure do like this place with all the info you could ever need.
My problem is ... after a complete brake loss, I replaced the master cyl.,booster, all 4 calipers all the pads and the lt. fr. disc hose. Now after bleeding and flushing the system and checking for leaks I have a good firm pedal until I start the car, then the pedal isvery low and spongy.The brakes work but not as they did before, kinda scary to drive. The car is a '96 Sable LS w/4 wheel discs and ABS, Duratec. I've looked as best I can , but can't find a leak in any hard lines. I bled the brakes using buddy pump n hold method. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS in advance for your time to read this and /or advice and experience.
Jim

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
air trapped in abs module. you need a scanner to trip the abs to get it to bleed or find a dirt or gravel road and slam on the brakes to get the abs to cycle. then bleed at all 4. you might have to do this one a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Is your location PITTSBURGH correct? I have a scanner that can activate ABS but live far from PITTSBURGH.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Is your "new" master cylinder, new or rebuilt? My brother went through 3, yes 3 "rebuilt" mater cylinders until he got a usable unit.

Also, the pump and hold method doesn't get all of the air bubbles out of the system. A vac pump can suck everything out of the system. Don't bother getting a hand vac pump, they are useless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you BENCH BLEED the master cylinder before installing ? If not, it's a must. I can give you procedure if so, just let me know. Good luck
david :unsure:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Again, the problem is most likely that the ABS pump has to be bled. This is true in any car that has ABS. "Crappy brakes" has nothing to do with it.

To engage the ABS pump, one needs an advanced scanner to activate the system, or go to a reputable repair place to have them do it.

I seriously doubt that the master cylinder is bad.
I own a few tauruses with the vulcan motor and they all had "CRAPPY" brakes, low pedal travel. Tauruses with the dohc motor, the brakes work a whole lot better.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I own a few tauruses with the vulcan motor and they all had "CRAPPY" brakes, low pedal travel. Tauruses with the dohc motor, the brakes work a whole lot better.
They are no different. Same calipers, et all.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
They are no different. Same calipers, et all.
Hey there you go, confusing us with FACTS!;)

I have had 7 Tarurs/Sables and one of their strong points is brakes.

I have driven rental cars of all stripes for 33 years of my work travel. None better than Taruus.

And as a side bar, I have had 4 Lin Cont and they share the same brakes as the Taurus/Sable when they have 4 discs.

However, Taurus with drums they have a bit lower pedal than discs on the same car. My '01 has discs and '03 drums. Both in top shape but there is a small difference in pedal travel.

In my present '01 Sable vs my '02 Lin cont, with identical brakes, the Sable has a better feel. It is pedal pressure. The Lin needs more pressure but it stops great. In switching back and forth, I notice the difference. The Lin has lighter throttle pressure, lighter steering feel, but heavier brake pressure.

And my '03 Sable steers lighter than the '01. However my papers on the '01 shows a "Touring Option" for whatever that means.

But back to the subject. If you have low pedal, then FIX YOUR BRAKES.

Not talking about you of course.

Happy stopping. (on a dime)
-chart-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: BEST BRAKES EVER !!!!!
Took the sable to the LINCOLN dealer (they had the lowest cost) did pressure bleed/ABS , now I have great brakes !!!! Thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts