Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into my car and turned on the lights and nothing happened. the dim side lights turn on but no headlights. So I tried the brights only to find they didnt work either while in the on position. but they do work when I pull the switch into the temporary on position or towards me. So I have a car that works if I am blinding everyone driving at me and only while I hold the whole lever. I have the feeling it could be the DRL but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jared

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is your parking brake fully released? When I start my car with parking brake on, my lights wont turn on, until I release the parking brake.

·
Registered
619 Posts
There is a red/stripe (i think) running from the headlight switch to the MFS that only has power when the headlights are on. There is another (i think) blue wire that has power all the time to make the pull-to-flash work.

On my car, I found the suspect wire had burned at the terminal, and it was a slightly heavier gauge wire. Found this when I noticed a burnt plastic smell and the cover around the MFS was warm.

·
Registered
541 Posts
;)I believe you have a headlight fuse of some sort in your-under hood fuse box in front near radiator, I had the same problem a while and replacing this fuse solved it.It is labeled HD/LPS Ithink its a 30 amp fuse. Fuse diagram in fuse box cap.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My first guess would be burned out low-beam filaments in the headlight bulbs.

Obvious, if everything else lights up when the lights are turned on.......

·
Registered
619 Posts
If it were just low beam filaments out, then regular hi beam would work. As I understand the OP, only Flash works. Still have a power/switch issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Ima try running a 20a fuse through my own button that ill install in my dash. and just run that into the lights splicing out the old wiring. ill let ya know if its a dumb idea or not haha i duno what else to do

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
A while back I swapped in a chrome-stalk MFS from a Continental into my 1991 LX. A few weeks later my wife notified me that the main headlights didn't work, but the high beams and the rest of the lights did work. I checked fuses etc and changed bulbs then looked into the service manual to troubleshoot. The manual said something about checking MFS so I swapped the original back in and the headlights worked again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts