Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Taurus with 98000 MI just had fuel pump put on new starter all new spark plugs all new coils because I bought the car off an individual that didn't no what was wrong and didn't have the money to try to fix it so car has been sitting for a couple years , well it just need a fuel pump. The car drove great for a couple of days like a brand new car that started puttering out like it was having problems going every once in awhile it would happen most, drove drove great now it's happening all the time. It's throwing all these codes p0191 P0302 P0457 someone please help me 馃く馃く馃く

Super Moderator
When my wifes 04 Tec thru a 191, the fix was a new fuel pump. I know you said the pump was replaced, but was it replaced by a quality unit or some Chinese made POS from the discount parts store? Also, was just the pump replaced or the entire pump module? Not on a Taurus, but I have seen the fuel supply line from the pump to the flange split, resulting in significantly reduced fuel pressure.

Use a good scan tool and look at long term fuel trims on both banks at idle with engine warm and at 50 mph cruise and report back with the numbers.

Registered
Did the fuel filter get changed? Use a scan tool with live data and see what it says for fuel rail pressure (FRP). Maybe even check that #2 fuel injector with a stethoscope (or long screwdriver).

I would start with checking the pressure with a scan tool, or better yet even a mechanical tool.

Registered
The P0191 relates to a fuel rail sensor and possible loss of fuel pressure and that would account for some of the sputtering. The p0302 is your #2 cylinder misfiring (more sputtering and that could be hooked to fuel pressure or potentially a coil or plug or fuel injector. The P0457 is a Loose or damaged gas cap, Faulty or stuck vent control valve, Faulty or stuck purge valve, Cracked or disconnected EVAP hose, Cracked or damaged charcoal canister and that is not related to the other 2 and would not cause the car to sputter or miss.You won't be able to pass an inspection, but won't keep the car from being driven.

You need to get a scanner and see what your fuel pressure is. Check the freeze frame on the P0191 should tell you fuel pressure and if it is low, then you know your problem. 39-65 psi is the correct spec for the pulse width modulated system. There is also a pressure shrader valve you can attach a gauge and monitor the fuel pressure.

Tom in Dallas

Registered
Check the spark wires and make sure that they are making a good connection to the spark plug. P0302 the spark plug on the rear of the motor and it is hard to reach. Check for the wire being loose and it might lose connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts