Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh:
okay peeps i need some advice, the sable alway's leaked power steering fluid, then the hose just came out and the pump went bad.
that was about 7-8 month's ago.
okay my dad got the pump from auto zone, and ever since it make's this groaning moaning noise.
and still leak's fluid.
i was gonna wait till i'm able to walk again to take car of it for her.
then yesterday, it was just leaking like a faucite.
when ever it did leak i lil' it would leak on to the cat.
but i looled under, and you could see the fluid leaking behind the engine on the pass. side.

he keep's putting it off, i really can't do anything till i'm walking.
i know the noise is from air in the system, but then again ford pump's make this noise so it seem's normal, but not like this.
so does anyone know if thier is a line around that side i tried to look above ,b ut the coil and a/c is in the way.
plus should the pump be replaced?

·
Registered
73 Posts
So you're dealing with a '91 that's leaking PS fluid on the passerger side behind the engine???

The lines wrap around he engine. They go from the pump (looking from/at the front of the car) to the right, over the transmission and around back of the engine just a little left of center. That's close to just above the cat. There, there are two 90 degree bends just after the lines go from rubber th metal.

Sounds like one of the two hoses sprang a leak or it may be leaking from the crimps. You gotta fill the system, start it and look for the leak while someone turns the wheel back and forth.

If you need to change a line out, do yourself a favor and change both at the same time. They are a good fight so don't be in a hurry and don't be afraid to remove severial things so you can get to 'em.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, the one on the left has already been replaced, do you think the pump is fine?
i ask this cause, the fluid would be so low that you can see the pump.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: its the fu%*ing rack-n-pinion??!!
how??
i'll find out later.
i think is why i . . . . . . .

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It's not fun to replace the rack. You have to jack up the frame, and drop the subframe. Then you disconnect both tie rods from the knuckles. Next, disconnect the PS lines, and finally the steering column spline.

The whinning noise is the PS pump telling you it's low on fluid. be sure to keep it filled, or you sill soon be replacing that pump again.

And finally, replace BOTH the feed and return lines from the pump to the rack, no matter how new they are. It's alot easier to do it with the subframe dropped then later. It's cheap insurance. Also, when you are reconnecting the steering colum be sure that you have the rack centered and the steering wheel straight, or your wheel will be really off.

And remember to save money for an alignment too. No matter how good you are it will be off.

Be patient, take your time, and be safe when working under the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, the whining is constant, so no matter if it's full or not, it make's noise.

UPDATE : :

i am so pissed.
not only the rack was bad, but the tie-rod's, the right control arm bushing, and the sub-frame , one of the screw's or bolt had rusted out and that part is broken.

i don't know i think my mom was lucky nothing really bvad had happened.

now another question:

now i know that the sub-frame has a recall, my mom went to ford and they said the recall was taking care of, now even though it broke again, can we still take it back???

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sable-gs@Aug 27 2004, 07:19 PM
now i know that the sub-frame has a recall, my mom went to ford and they said the recall was taking care of, now even though it broke again, can we still take it back???
It won't be covered under any kind of warranty. You can check yourself on ford.com under recalls. Put in your VIN, and it'll give you a list of recalls. I would do it just to make sure the recall was done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well when i had the cougar something was a recall and ford wanted me to take to the shop so they could fix it.

UPDATE:::::
got it in, and my mom does'nt like the way it feel's. cause when you hit a bump, you get feedback.
it's gonna get aligned tomarrow.
as for the sub-frame i think he had a piece of metal weld to it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all right guy's i need some help again.
now me and my dad had aligned by eye, but now it pull's to the right when ever you hit a bump, you would have to control it, then a few second's later it straighten's out.

now the driver side control arm is bad so that could be the problem, she say's that's thier's play also, so until friday, is thier anyway to help this or not?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Yyou can also loosen the sub-frame bolts just a little and take a large pry-bar on the rear of the right side and push the sub-frame towards the front of the car. Then immeadiately have your dad tighten the bolts while you have tension on the frame.

Then loosen the left side bolts and put tension on the front of the sub-frame and push towards the rear of the car. Again, while applying tension tighten the bolts.

What this does is called a cradle adjust, it's also basically a way of flat rating an alignment. Once this is done you probably will only need to have the toe set.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
How many miles does the car have on it? Was it in an accident before or after you bought it...because it sounds kind of weird to me. My power steering rack went too...but that was my fault...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you know what my dad did, him and my uncle had modified it with a washer thick metal plate, it's missing the lower part of the bushing, but everything else is fine.

the car came from florida, and travel from their to chicago.
so that seem's normal the mile's on the car is 120,xxxmiles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HELP YOU GUY'S!!! I NEED SOME HELP AGAIN!!!!!

okay my mom went to move her car closer to our house.
then while she was parking, the powersteer quit assiting, the hose came aloose and i'm assuming it was the hi pressure side.
which one is it, is it the one that's mounted to the fire wall in the middle, beside the brake fluid reservoir.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts