Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm having problems as many of us do with the power windows on my 2001 Sable. Windows work sometimes, or not at all. I did replace the master window switch, no luck. If i grab the wire bundle in between the door and car i can get them to work again so it seems i do have a wire problem. I understand I need to do the voltage drop test to figure out which one.

Here's what im trying so help me understand what im doing wrong. Key is in and turned. I put my multimeter to DCV 20 and the black wire to ground. I just picked a bare metal spot that worked when testing another connection.

Then my red positive wire to the back side of the connector that goes to the master window switch. Seems I can touch metal this way without stabbing into the wire. I get no reading at all. I did try piercing a wire and that didnt help.

I'm wondering if my short or whatever is causing this or if i should ground to the battery itself. I'm not very good with electrical stuff so i'm sure its me.

Help a brother if you could. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Welcome to TCCA.

Have a look/read here on basic use of your multimeter in trouble shooting electrical problems & how to use it for continuity & voltage drop testing.
Troubleshoot Auto Electrical Problems

I have the same problem with my 99 Ranger, just now getting warm enough, but not dry enough for long enough yet for me to get after it & remove the passenger side door trim panel to see what gives in my wire bundel intermittent connection.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Hello all,

I'm having problems as many of us do with the power windows on my 2001 Sable. Windows work sometimes, or not at all. I did replace the master window switch, no luck. If i grab the wire bundle in between the door and car i can get them to work again so it seems i do have a wire problem. I understand I need to do the voltage drop test to figure out which one.

Here's what im trying so help me understand what im doing wrong. Key is in and turned. I put my multimeter to DCV 20 and the black wire to ground. I just picked a bare metal spot that worked when testing another connection.

Then my red positive wire to the back side of the connector that goes to the master window switch. Seems I can touch metal this way without stabbing into the wire. I get no reading at all. I did try piercing a wire and that didnt help.

I'm wondering if my short or whatever is causing this or if i should ground to the battery itself. I'm not very good with electrical stuff so i'm sure its me.

Help a brother if you could. Thanks!
If I am following you correctly, it sounds like have the meter hooked up right. With the meter hooked up, move the harness as before and see if you get a voltage reading.

With that being said, you already have the problem isolated. You have already identified that a wire is intermittent in the harness. What you need to do now, is get the harness apart and find the suspect wire.

The wire that supplies the voltage to the master switch is Light Blue/Black Stripe. Check for voltage there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Its done nothing but rain for the last 2 days, and that's whats in the forecast for the next 5. Wish I had a garage. Going to probably take the door off and really look at it. Glad I seem to be doing it right. Will definitely check the Light Blue/Black stripe one. Thanks a bunch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts