Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm working on grandma's 1998 Ford Taurus with the 3.0L Vulcan with 190,000 miles. Well the problem was that the car wouldn't start. I go to check to see if the battery had a charge, it did. I checked to see if there was gas, there was. But I didn't hear the fuel pump priming when I turned the key so I suspected that was the culprit. So I checked the injectors to see if there was any fuel being sprayed and nothing. And nothing came out of the little "valve stem looking" end. So I suspect it's the fuel pump. I checked all the fuses and all checked out good, twice. I even swapped relays thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't.

The next day I drop the fuel tank and check the wires at the fuel pump and the wires coming from the car had power, so I suspect that it's the fuel pump. I get it changed out but I only replaced the fuel pump, not the whole assembly. I replace everything and just do a test run to try and start the car and I'm back at square one. The fuel pump doesn't prime when the key is turned. So I take the fuel pump and wire it directly and it works. So I'm thinking wires. Go through all the fuses again and everything checks out fine so I go to check the injectors and there's fuel in them this time but not even a spray maybe just dripping at best. I use my spark plug tester and no spark. I use my fuel injector test light and nothing.

At this point I'm scratching my head thinking what the hell else could I check? Did I miss something easy? Where should I be looking because I'm baffled at the moment. Oh yeah I even tried using starter fluid to see if she would fire up and nothing

Anyone out there have any advice/suggestions? I'm ready to learn!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try the emergency cut off, everything checks out ok. I mean the engine turns but it doesn't start. I'm fried too at the moment, I'll start fresh tomorrow and see what else I can come up with. Everything else works that I know of.. lights, blinkers, radio, horn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I solved my problem, I found a bunch of mangled wires under the hood.. a couple of wires had melted insulation. I repaired those wires and it made a relay burn out. Replaced the relay and voila it started. I wonder why the relay burn out though, but I guess as long as it's running.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Well I solved my problem, I found a bunch of mangled wires under the hood.. a couple of wires had melted insulation. I repaired those wires and it made a relay burn out. Replaced the relay and voila it started. I wonder why the relay burn out though, but I guess as long as it's running.
congratulations. glad to hear persistence paid off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is just a bunch of Taurus. Well today gramma came to pick up her car. I make sure the battery's charged and the car starts before I let the car go. 30 minutes before she comes to get the car I crank and let it run for a few minutes. I'm thinking yeah I fixed this mother*&%$$#! So I go inside, wait, she arrives and goes to turn the car on and the car doesn't crank! The fuel pump primes, battery's fine, all fuses check out ok. I'm like WTF???!!!

She leaves the car, I check the wiring and everything seems to be ok. I take off the starter and get it tested at Autozone and they tell me it's bad because the gear doesn't extend. I can hear it making noise when they tested it at Autozone but it didn't make any sound when it was in the car. I turn the key and it's just silence except for the chime and fuel pump priming. Could the starter really just crap out on me like that?? Is it just old age or what? It was a real bummer when I couldn't get the engine to crank at all today.

Frustration I tell you.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If it's the original starter, it could very well be time for a new one. Very easy to change on a Vulcan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the car is back to normal. It turns out it was the starter. I went and got a decent one from the junkyard. I know, I know should have got a new one but you don't know the condition of this old Taurus. The starter would be worth more than the car itself! Haha! Started right up on the first try. Picking from the boneyard I noticed almost all of the starters are covered in oil and dirt and looks like it's caked with mud. Luckily I found a clean one, looks like it was just replaced.

Haha, another thing she tells me it overheats on her. I found the heater core leaking so I just bypassed it and no overheat at the moment. Drove it all around town with the A/C on and it stayed normal. This car is just rigged up here and there and I guess I added to it by bypassing the heater core. Lots of frayed loose connections. Someone before me has the fans rigged up where they come on as soon as you turn the key on and they're on all the time.

I was just glad to get the car started and running with no overheating. Thanks to all those that responded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts