Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok maybe not the ultimate but much better than stock “... Hey there ... I’m slowly putting together my new system after recently paying off my car and deciding the stock system was NOT worth the money I paid for the car (2016 Taurus Limited AWD w/ Sony 12 speaker) 1000$ upgrade on audio is totally worth it in my mind, and I know it’s the speakers that are weak NOT the system itself. You could definitely build a better system but for only 1000$ speaker upgrade I believe this car can sound like it’s worth twice the money I paid... the stock speakers are just horrendous! With Apple CarPlay and flac playback ability + decent digital EQ the electronics are actually quite fine “, but it’s obvious the speakers are a joke and simply there to fool people that know nothing about good sound ...

So here’s what I did so far from Crutchfield.com :

Replaced all 4 doors with Focal ICU 130 round 2 way speakers. I was tempted to install the slightly larger 6 1/2 version however I was told I would have some trouble fitting and will likely cut through metal, so decided to go smaller. These speakers still pound & believe this was a good choice.

So next are the two centre channels which most people have the most complaints about. I decided on Infinity Kappa Perfect 300 for front and rear centre ... this should help tremendously.

the tweeters will replaced with Focal TWU 1.5 which I’m very excited about. Crutch field supplied the bass blockers (150hz) which I will need since this system wiring has special crossovers in the front stock speakers for the tweeters.

Now my question is should I stop there or replace the 2 6x9 ‘SUBS’ in the rear deck lid. As far as I know, these speakers are wired for Subs out of the amp (doesn’t really sound like it) but this means I should put an actual sub in those two spots... not just any old speaker.

my question then is given the current set up I just described, what are your best SUB recommendations either in 6x9 or more likely (and widely available) 2 x 6.5” subs with plastic adapters. Beyond that am I making a decent upgrade? I am at about 800$ CAD without the subs (leaving the stock subs in for now) but don’t mind shelling out the extra 200-250 to really help the bass ... which is pretty bad right now (or is it??) I guess I’ll find out soon after the 800$ upgrade.
Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just here to get updates on this. My 2013 Limited has a very flat and boring sounding system and would like to upgrade as well. Good luck with your project man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be interesting to hear how the stock subs perform with the rest of the system before spending any more and possibly going nowhere ... the way I see it Ford wired them for a specific frequency and although they are cheap, they are 6x9 so they do push some air ... hopefully with the Focals they might compliment the overall upgrades. However currently the bass just sounds so bad ... listening to something dynamic like Tool or any well produced album is just painful. I hear nothing but flabby bass, middle mud and almost no dynamics. FLAC and a decent EQ helps but I know these new speakers are key to this system which I believe is actually good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update — I actually cancelled my Crutchfield order and ordered things separately ... to much hassle with the US border. I actually upgraded all the doors to the 5x7 Focal ICU vs the round speakers which I think will sound better, and no plastic inserts ... should be a straight swop! Everything else is the same — TWU 1.5 tweeters with the bassblockers ordered separate from Crutchfield Canada ... and the Infinity Kappas on sale from another store. Saved about 200$ CAD and upgraded the doors. No installation kit but I’m an electrician by trade so no big deal there — in fact I look forward to using my own copper terminals for everything as to attain the purest signal possible. Will update! Happy I went with the slightly larger / higher spec door speakers :D

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
163 Posts
Yup, the factory Sony system blows. The speakers are garbage, true, but the amp is only marginally better, all amplification is done in APIM (what a piece of electronic excellence that must be) and the one out back is merely a DSP. Having said that, replacing the paper 10W speakers is a very good way of getting at least decent sound out of it. Few years back I replaced the doors with Alpine Rs 2-ways 6x8 and 6x9 for the rear deck. I didn't bother with the center speakers because listening to music in "surround" is only good if you hate sound fidelity, so they're useless anyways. The deck speakers are technically subs but I'm pretty sure that is actually full range signal made into a "sub" by use of even shittier speakers. The tweeters are still waiting to be replaced (they do not need bass blockers BTW, it's a completely separate output from the amp/DSP). The stock ones are quite tinny though with better door speakers it's not as bad as it was before. All in all it was a worthy investment/change. Combined with a full interior dynamat and the like, the sound is quite decent though with volume above 1/5 scale quality begins to drop like a proverbial stone.

Good luck with your transformation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geeze yup I just checked, amazingly the centre speakers are both on whether it’s set to Surround or Stereo in the 2016 Limited ... it actually sounds louder/worse in stereo! So will try the Kappa in there and see what happens (some reviewers have put them in the Taurus and said it was worth it). Also as for the tweeters depends on year, unfortunately the 2016 with the Sony system has a crossover in the door speakers that make the speaker more like a mid and freq. drop for the tweeter like a component set up so I’ll have to use the blockers with the focals & hopefully I can get a full range signal out of the front doors but it might be limited range ... not sure yet. I’ll likely stop there unless someone here advises me to swop the subs for something substantially better ... thanks for the replies

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
The Sony system in our daughters 13 Limited was terrible, especially in surround sound mode. The system I put in my 95 Vulcan beater several years ago (reman mid level Sony head unit from Ebay, Ebay 200 W under the passenger seat sub and Wallmart door and rear deck speakers with a total investment of around $300 in the whole system) sounds light years ahead of the POS Sony system in the daughters 13 Limited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts