Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We, the bull has been good to me but, now I have a problem. I'm leaking red fluid (tranny or power stearing) and it is dripping out 6" behind the front license plate. :( My quick look in the dark last night indicated it may be the hose goes into the metal cooler line which is seen when looking directly at the front of the car. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
:eek: indeed. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Check the tranny fluid level, and the PS fluid level. It's probably one of the rubber lines that goes to the cooler, like you said. You're going to have to drop the splash shield and try to track it down. Do not drive around until you fix it. :ph34r:

While you're in there, install a tranny cooler. :) :icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Where can u purchase a good tranny cooler?

Adam

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I recommend the aux trans cooler also.

www.bulkpart.com usually has the best prices. I believe they are temporarily closed right now due to inventory issues. But they have a link on their site to another place they recommend getting their products from while they are closed.

Some will tell you go with tube & Fin and some will tell you go with stacked plate. Both are good the key is to get one and install it. They are cheap enough that if you decide you'd like to try the other you can sell the one you got used and get the other.

I'd recommend you get a magnefine inline trans filter also when you are installing the aux trans cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@May 27 2004, 05:41 PM
Where can u purchase a good tranny cooler?

Adam
If you need one NOW, U-haul rental centers usually sell them. Some even install them for you. I prefer stacked-plate designs, as they are more efficient (more cooling from a smaller unit.) Some prefer tube-and-fin designs out of fear that stacked-plate coolers will cause pressure drop. In either case, it's 100 times better than using only the stock "cooler".

I got my B&M Supercooler from Summit Racing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Any tricks to removing the splash shield? Also, is the current tranny "cooler" under high pressure? headin' out for the weekend. have to take a look Monday.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is it never too late to install a trans. cooler? I have a vulcan with AX4N and 100,800 on the Odometer.

Thanks again
Adam

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@May 27 2004, 10:08 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is it never too late to install a trans. cooler? I have a vulcan with AX4N and 100,800 on the Odometer.

Thanks again
Adam
When your tranny falls out the bottom of your car while your climbing hills, towing a boat thru the mountains on a hot summer day......its too late.

But otherwise, its never too late. If you have not replaced or rebuilt your tranny yet, then installing a cooler will prolong its life. The Taurus transmission is prone to failure (as we all know).

It's fairly simple and inexpensive. Considering the cost of replacing a transmission typically is more than the market value of the Taurus, installing a cooler is worth every cent.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by neilc88@May 27 2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Any tricks to removing the splash shield? Also, is the current tranny "cooler" under high pressure? headin' out for the weekend. have to take a look Monday.
On a gen 3 there are small hex bolts along the front edge of it (IIRC about 6-8 if you have them all) There will be two of the same sized bolts that will set back from the outer edge closest to the front of each from wheelwell, these connect the splashgaurd to the inside wheelwell liner. Other then that there are 3 (IIRC) larger bolts that are towards the rear middle of the splash guard (roughly under the engine). Once you have those all removed just pull it towards the rear of the car and down and the same time and it will come out. I'm not sure if any of the other gens are different though.

No the transmission cooling system is not under pressure. In fact when i disconnected the hose to connect mine there was very little fluid that came out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Well it took me some time to get this completed, but I am very happy with the results. It was the stock tranny cooler that was leaking. I got the Ford replacement one. It has exterior cooling fins, as the stock unit was a smooth tube. I followed the tranny filter replacement and flush instructions (from this forum) and this was much better than the Chiltons manual. Not a bad job to do, only time consuming. It would have been nice of Ford to reduce the amount of bolts (19) for the tranny pan. O'well. Thanks all that contribute to the great info here. :chili:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by neilc88@Aug 5 2004, 11:54 AM
UPDATE: Well it took me some time to get this completed, but I am very happy with the results. It was the stock tranny cooler that was leaking. I got the Ford replacement one. It has exterior cooling fins, as the stock unit was a smooth tube. I followed the tranny filter replacement and flush instructions (from this forum) and this was much better than the Chiltons manual. Not a bad job to do, only time consuming. It would have been nice of Ford to reduce the amount of bolts (19) for the tranny pan. O'well. Thanks all that contribute to the great info here. :chili:
Glad to hear that worked out well for you in the end.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by John in Charlotte@Aug 5 2004, 12:22 PM
What would it cost to have a Trans cooler installed?
Don't know how much the labor would cost but the parts will be around 30-60 bucks depending on which type (tube and fin or stacked plate) of cooler you choose. You can check local u-haul locations, i believe they not only sell the coolers but also will install them.

The installation really isn't bad if you want to try it yourself. there are plenty of threads here explaining how to install it.

I personally would suggest you purchase the cooler from www.bulkpart.com they have the best prices for them i have seen recently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.