Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 GL vulcan
I was taking the head bolts out of the rear cylinder head, and i hit the pipe that goes from the EGR valve to the exhaust manifold and snapped it in half. I need to know how to either fix this or replace it. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found?

Here's a pic.

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
You can get it either from a junkyard or a dealer. I may have one off a 95 that should be the same though, let me check on it before you buy one.

B

·
0 Posts
Not really sure of the exact name, but if you call the dealer and tell them that's what it is, they should know what you need.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ford part number

9D477 - EGR Valve to exhaust manifold tube

LOL>> very very technical!! dont ya jus LOVE FORD Techs?!

btw.. as far as i can tell.. theyve been the same for just about forever, follows function i guess... alls it is is a hole the EGR valve uses to pull exhaust gas and add it to your piston chamber... to lower burn temps and reduce NOx emissions..

Ive been going through the EGR system for a couple days now =]

·
Registered
132 Posts
btw... it also has a gasket at the manifold end of that tube...

9F470 - EGR Valve tube inlet gasket

fun fun =] :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Oct 19 2004, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know what size wrench turns that sum'bitch?
Yeah, just use a vise-grip" wrench, that size usually works for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I belive it's a 1 1/16" wrench.. pretty big... and you'll likely want a torch of some kind to heat the nut (carefully of course) because with the heat of the exhaust, they tend to corrode and sieze on there like a bugger. You can always use a big adjustable if you can fit it in, but the proper wrench is always best to reduce the chance of slippage, rounding the darned nut, and bashin up yer hands. Oh, and when you put the new one on, it wouldn't hurt to put a lil anti-sieze on the threads, in case you have to remove it again in the future.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got word from a lincoln/mercury dealership that the new part costs $177. Bob do you know if the one you have will work? And how much will you let it go for?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Oct 27 2004, 02:15 PM
I just got word from a lincoln/mercury dealership that the new part costs $177. Bob do you know if the one you have will work? And how much will you let it go for?
If it isn't already ruined (my Dad raided the car for scrap aluminum, long story), I'll ship it along with the heads. It should fit, it looks the same as the one on my 97.

Worst case, get one from a junkyard. Should be a lot cheaper than the dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
use the 1 1/16 inch wrench, it will work better. i have a craftsman 1 1/16 that i chopped in half to work on the crown vics. it comes in very handy on all fords i've done so far because of egr positioning, (i worked at a dealer for several years)
plus being chopped in half, if you need to you can always ues a hammer on the chopped end for a "impact driver effect".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts