Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just want to do a few things here, id like to wire my GPS to the battery, im using my ipod and cell charger constantly (screw android batt life) and its a PINA to switch them to plug my GPS in, so im wondering which is the best way to go about wiring it to the batter, its a older widescreen garmin with the car charger.

and a just recieved a rear view camera from ebay to go with my jensen screen, i mounted it and everything and its actually AWSOME! my led reverse lights are bright enough to give it some view and im very impressed for an $18 camera looks fantastic!

im just not sure how to go about wiring the camera to automatically come on when i put the car in reverse? any help is appreciated thanks guys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why don't you just buy a dual 12 volt socket, run two wires from the battery into the cabin and you can keep your toys in the car or move them. Also keep thieves away.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a gizillion wires all over the place right now thats why im trying to simplify things.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
On my 99 Sable i have three things plugged in as well.. radar detector, cell charger, and mp3 charger... I got tired of looking at wires as well so i got a three port splitter for the cigarette lighter and i hard wired it to the battery, and i put it out of sight.. up underneath the shifter console.. on the gen 3's you can pull the sides of it open almost like doors... I don't think many people know that... i just hid it up under there and plugged my three things into it and ran the wires out and now all you see is the wires for the chargers on the pass. floor. the radar detector wiring is all hidden too, I ran it up along the side on the drivers side and through the very front of the dash. Looks good, and I still have the original cigarette plug available.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i have a gizillion wires all over the place right now thats why im trying to simplify things.
You could move the cigarette lighter to inside the glove box...plenty of room in there. Then, get a dual or triple 12V socket and hide all of the wiring inside/under the dash instead of running it down in front of your radio and climate control.

Turn the hole where the lighter WAS into a chapstick/Life Savers/Tums holder. :lol2:

Does your Taurus have two 12V sources? Mine (SEL) does but I didn't know if it was standard on all models.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
hey guys just want to do a few things here, id like to wire my GPS to the battery, im using my ipod and cell charger constantly (screw android batt life) and its a PINA to switch them to plug my GPS in, so im wondering which is the best way to go about wiring it to the batter, its a older widescreen garmin with the car charger.

and a just recieved a rear view camera from ebay to go with my jensen screen, i mounted it and everything and its actually AWSOME! my led reverse lights are bright enough to give it some view and im very impressed for an $18 camera looks fantastic!

im just not sure how to go about wiring the camera to automatically come on when i put the car in reverse? any help is appreciated thanks guys.
You could tap your backup lamp circuiy for camera power in Reverse. Check the current draw listed on the camera first to see if it needs a relay, but it's probably not that much of a drain.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The camera doesnt need a relay, and where would i find that wire?

And i have 2 cig lighters but the top one has never worked, im hunna check it out tonight and see if i canfind why i always assumed it was just soley a lighter and not a 12v source

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Get 12 V for the camera right from the backup lamp wire in one of the tail lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts