Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, something weird has happened to my car. A couple of days ago I replaced my ignition cylinder because the other one wore out and broke my key off inside. :angry:

Right now, I can open the doors, roll down the windows, and listen to the radio without any wierdness happening.

If car is started, driver door solenoid goes wacky.

If remote or door lock/unlock button is pushed, all solenoids start going and a thumping/clicking sound comes from the dash. (This only stops if I disconnect the battery or the keyless entry module.)

If Fuse 8 is removed, sometimes the parking lamps come on and stay lit even though they weren't on when I pulled it. (Also, when it is put back in the interior lights don't like to come back on sometimes and I hear a relay click whenever I re-insert the fuse.)

I am thinking it might be the battery saver relay and/or the remote keyless entry module. I still haven't tested the transmission range sensor. It could also be a funky ground, but I haven't touched any of them lately.

I am seriously getting stumped here. Does anybody have a clue on this one?:(

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would get a wiring diagram of that ignition switch and look for possible wires that could have been disturbed during the repair, causing the current problems.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get a wiring diagram of that ignition switch and look for possible wires that could have been disturbed during the repair, causing the current problems.
That is on my list of things to check. This will be my third time disassembling the column in the last two weeks. I should be a pro now right?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed in the car?

My 91 LX had one, and it developed similar symptoms. I found the installation manual for the alarm on the 'net, figured out where the module was and disconnected the wiring. Whole process took less than an houer. Who's gonna steal an old Taurus anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed in the car?
I think that one was installed before we bought it, but it was removed by the dealer. There are leftover bits like terminals going to fuses and a couple of extra grounds that aren't connected to anything.

Update though: I pulled the ignition cylinder and cleaned all of the contacts. Now all of the door locks are behaving themselves, but I still hear a "whir-thump" sound similar to what the door locks were doing coming from the dash.

I have yet to isolate the sound, but could it be the blend door actuator, or is that closer to the floor?

Are there any solenoids in the dash?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I have the driver seat out so that I can lay down and listen to the sound. It seems to be coming from the area where the blend door should be.

I'm going to clean the grounds closest to the A/C blower to see if that helps. I will also re-check the contacts on the ignition cylinder to see if I can find something else.

Is there any reason for the blend door to be cycling/thumping constantly? Anybody have a clue on how to get at it aside from removing the dash?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The door should cycle between open and closed fully one time when you start the car to "find the limits". In your case it might have a broken actuator - or something related to it (the door itself) - and it tries to find those "limits" constantly.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, there is a bunch of support structure for the dash crammed behind and around the radio in Gen 2 dashboards.

I'm gonna have to go after the service manual even though it takes forever to find things in there. (The book is like four inches thick!)

I am currently focusing on performing all other maintenance/mods that I have planned since I have it apart already!

Really though, has anybody messed with the blend door actuator on a Gen 2 and lived to tell the tale?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Those are always PITA. My Explorer blender door broke two months ago and I still didn't get to fix it - there is a repair kit and the trick is to cut the enclosure from the bottom with a dremmel to swap the door. I am still trying to get the actuator motor out, cannot fit my hand in there easily.
If the space in the Gen2 is similar... good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the verdict is in: You can't get to the blend door actuator on a Gen 2 without removing the dashboard.

:thumbsdown:

There is a center section of vent ducting that installs directly over and in-front of the assembly where it is located.

I'm not sure that I have to do it yet, but I am going to try the diagnostic procedures in the service manual to determine if it is just an electrical fault.

Otherwise, I will be having lots of fun tonight!

On a side note though, I wired up the EATC so that I can switch it between english and metric along with the digital dash!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts