Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '97 3.0L Taurus has been acting up lately.

About a week ago, she was on her way to work and she said the RPMs went down and then back up a few times on the highway. Nothing happened after that, it ran fine.

Then 3 days ago, when she went to leave, the car stalled out when put into Reverse, was hard to restart and had a real rough idle after restarting. I let it sit for a few minutes and held it at about 1K and it was running fine, so I sent her on her way. Then she calls me, she had to pull over on the side of the highway, because the car almost died (RPMs UP and DOWN again). She let it sit for a few minutes and continued with no problems.

I looked at the fuel filter (it looked pretty old), so I changed that and added some dry gas to the tank and filled it up.

today, it ran fine all the way to work, but on the ride home she told me it was acting a little funny (RPMs dropped a bit, then back up).

I have no idea where to start on this thing.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure? I would start there, could be the fuel pump is on it's way out, at least the guys at Ford made it easy to replace it without dropping the gas tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts