Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I've just had a complete failure in my daily driver, a 1995 3.0 Vulcan.

A few days ago, it started cranking more slowly than usual. Today I got it running (just) and did a bunch of tests. The battery is charging, the engine ground connection is good and the battery is putting out a good current.

However now it won't crank at all. I tried to jump-start it from another car, but it still won't crank, even with a good solid charge from the other car.

I've tied everything I know, and I'm horribly afraid it may be the starter. Any thoughts?

I've never had these symptoms from a failed start before, but I don't know what else it could be.

Oh, if it helps, I put it in neutral and turned the motor by hand: I heard a loud 'click' from down by where the starter may be. The ignition was off.

Thanks!
Bruce

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey all -

I've just had a complete failure in my daily driver, a 1995 3.0 Vulcan.

A few days ago, it started cranking more slowly than usual. Today I got it running (just) and did a bunch of tests. The battery is charging, the engine ground connection is good and the battery is putting out a good current.

However now it won't crank at all. I tried to jump-start it from another car, but it still won't crank, even with a good solid charge from the other car.

I've tied everything I know, and I'm horribly afraid it may be the starter. Any thoughts?

I've never had these symptoms from a failed start before, but I don't know what else it could be.

Oh, if it helps, I put it in neutral and turned the motor by hand: I heard a loud 'click' from down by where the starter may be. The ignition was off.

Thanks!
Bruce
Did you try hitting the starter while someone turns the key? It sounds like a bad starter to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Yup, sounds like a bad starter. As noted above, have someone turn the ket to start, and give it a good wack or 2 with a hammer. G2 Vulcan starters are pretty easy to R&R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.