Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading this through! - my fiance's Taurus died on her the other day and I could really use some help (just what we need in the run up to the wedding). I am completely at a loss for words here. I'll give you a rundown of what I'm dealing with:

Car has had a wicked squeak for as long as we have had it (related? not sure) and it sat for about a week before this. It started pretty rough/idled high for a minute and she only made it about 5 minutes down the road before it apparently struggled to accelerate up a small hill, then she said her steering got really hard, it started running more rough and she was just able to pull off the road and barely into a parking spot before it died. She then tried to restart and it did for a minute but then shut back off. The radio/electrics still worked though.

I got there and we restarted the car, it hesitated and ran rough but the moment she turned the steering wheel the entire car started bucking hard and the motor shut off. We started it a couple more times while looking at the motor trying to diagnose and then suddenly it wouldn't start anymore.

Came back later with my dad and again it wouldn't start.

My first thought was a broken belt but it's fine. Then I wondered if it could be a seized power steering pump but it spun fine enough when trying to turn the car over. It's been sitting there for a couple days now and I don't know what to do. I tried to use my little WiFi OBD scanner to read any possible codes but it wouldn't connect to the car...

Thoughts? Thanks again everyone.

·
Super Moderator
7,832 Posts
Squeak from the driver side top of the engine? If so you have a failed CMP. Very common Vulcan problem. Replace it with the Motorcraft replacement part ONLY.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
CMPs start off with a chirp from the driverside. I have replaced five so far on my three Taurus, seems that they only last 100k miles or less. A long, fast and hot drive to Florida from Ohio killed my first one with only 46k miles on the car.

A dead CMP should set a code and a check engine light. A fuel pressure check for a bad pump is also good to do. How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! That squeak has been a constant struggle. I thought about replacing the CMP but chirp/squeak sounds like it’s coming from belt area. Replaced alternator, idler, and tensioner so far. Has around 130k miles, got it around 100k. Previous owner had for around 10k and was not great about maintenance. Would a bad CMP cause the car to not start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Car should start but run poorly with a faulty cmp sensor and/or camshaft synchronizer unless the cam sync has caused the oil pump to fail. Cmp sensor manages fuel injector timing. Cam sync drives the oil pump. A failed ckp sensor/wiring would prevent starting. How is the serp. belt and belt driven components?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts