Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've replaced the thermostat and heater core. First off I did a flush on the core and not much came out. After I did the flush I got a little heat back. One day the car started running cold. The temp gauge barely gets up above cold and when driving it is bottomed out below the cold line (when the rpms go up it causes the temp gauge to drop). It has very weak heat. I've had overheating problems with other cars but never had one run cold. Also there doesn't seem to be any pressure in the hose from the thermostat is that normal? I need some other ideas of what it could be, only thing not replaced is the water pump could this be failing?
*edit* I've read a stuck thermostat can cause this and heard of them being bad brand new. I've tried two different thermos in it with no luck.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
If your car really ran cold, you discovered a gold mine.

If temp gauge is at the bottom when the car is several miles away from home, either the gauge itself is bad or engine temp sensor is bad. What I would do is to plug a scanner to OBDII port and read the engine temp.

Heater core gets hot water directly from the engine, not through thermostat. Replacing thermostat is unlikely to solve no heat.

If water pump is failing, it may not be able to send hot water to the core or the radiator. This will make the engine run hot. You can read engine temp through OBDII port.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If the water pump is failing then it will warm up far too slowly. You didn't mention the year or engine, but if it's a 10+ year old Vulcan then the pump vanes may be worn down. The lack of coolant flow can cause hot spots in the motor that will cause cracks, even though it may read cold at the temp sending units.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
If the water pump is failing then it will warm up far too slowly. You didn't mention the year or engine, but if it's a 10+ year old Vulcan then the pump vanes may be worn down. The lack of coolant flow can cause hot spots in the motor that will cause cracks, even though it may read cold at the temp sending units.
WJC helped me out a few times. You may want to do what he recommends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts