Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dads 2001 Taurus ffv had died out on the e-way. Heres the details: went about 8k miles on an oil change, then i finally just changed it for him with Mobil 1 5w-20. Lower radiator hose has been leaking for a while so the coolant runs low a lot probly just water in there for a while. The car has had a misfire for about the past month(cylinder 1 & 6) and insufficient egr flow. At the time it died there was 600 pounds of copper, 3 adults, tools, and 2 12's w/ amp. Now a day later it barely starts and has a rough idle at about 800 rpms and there is a puddle of oil under it. Blown head gasket or somethin else? thanks you help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I wouldn't even attempt to diagnose an abused car. You need to wait for a pro/semi-pro member of this forum to reply.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
wow... ummmm wow... did i say wow.... maybe you should fix the misfire.. clean the egr.. see where the oil is coming from... fix the rad hose... running just water in a cooling system is bad very bad. By the time you fix all these problems it will be cheaper to buy a car with a warranty. but the warranty will not cover that.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I cant help it...... wtf did you and your dad think was going to happen without repairing the problems as they popped up. and still have the nerve to drive it? I got to ask now..... has the car ever been washed?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Vulcans rot the cooling system even with 50/50 high quality antifreeze unless it is changed yearly. Plain water will 100% kiill the cooling system. Coolant leaks MUST be taken care of when they occur, as they will get worse, often suddenly and fry the engine. Missfires will kill the cats in short order = big $$ to fix.

Your fathers abuse of a good solid car just killed it. Junk it and move on to another car your father can kill.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
600 Lbs of copper... Hmm, Midnight runs to abandoned homes to steal air conditioner units ? :D

In all seriousness if you knew there was a coolant leak and 1 / 6 cyl misfire why wouldn't you fix it ? You get what you deserve, did you expect it to just keep going ?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That catcon is probably dead if you ran a month with misfires. Even though you did change the oil after 8k, the system needs to be flushed now. I hope you change the filter.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
My dads 2001 Taurus ffv had died out on the e-way. Heres the details: went about 8k miles on an oil change, then i finally just changed it for him with Mobil 1 5w-20. Lower radiator hose has been leaking for a while so the coolant runs low a lot probly just water in there for a while. The car has had a misfire for about the past month(cylinder 1 & 6) and insufficient egr flow. At the time it died there was 600 pounds of copper, 3 adults, tools, and 2 12's w/ amp. Now a day later it barely starts and has a rough idle at about 800 rpms and there is a puddle of oil under it. Blown head gasket or somethin else? thanks you help is appreciated
The coolant hose you're talking about isn't a hard fix, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that it wasn't changed sooner. I'll guess the engine has run hot pretty much every time it needed a top up, that'll ruin the heads in short order. If you had a misfire, why didn't you go out of your way to correct the condition? Did the misfire only happen at idle?

I'm guessing cylinder 1 is screwed, it goes hand in hand with the abuse you mentioned. As for head gasket symptoms, you might have pressurization of the cooling system from a cold start, you might have white exhaust smoke, you might have milky oil, etc...

The car sounds screwed and not worth fixing. Tell your father to go and find another $400 beater special and change it out every 6 months. By the sounds of it, you guys need a work truck more than anything. Why in the hell would you even try to haul a load with a wounded car? A truck would be better suited to the abuse your dads vehicles must see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wtf are you doing with 600lb of copper in your car??? 8,000 miles without changing the oil? you are lucky that car lasted this long after all that abuse, seriously :angry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Civility people!!!! He's getting some good advice (keep up with repair, or else) but that's not helping his problems.

My guess is that they don't have much $$$ and times are tuff right now.

I'll try to sort out some of this...

1. EGR low flow is a common problem with this engine, but it's not the EGR valve it's probably the DPFE sensor that tell the PCM the EGR flow. The design of this sensor is very poor. Good thing is tt's a cheap part and easy to replace.

2. Blown head gasket - you might have white exhaust, and the dip stick might have water bubbles on it, i.e you have water in your oil

3. Misfires before the problems could be ignition, compression, or fuel related and the cylinder that is throwing the code might not be right...it's just the PCM best guess based on time and firing order. I would check plugs, wires, coil, or take it in and have the ignition analysis done. Then I would check fuel pressure and injectors. Then I would check compression, which probably isn't too good now.

I'm giving you the benefit of doubt, but the fact that you have 2 12" subs with an amp, and you're hauling around copper doesnt look so good.:huh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.