Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my water pump. Now I;m trying to put the sepentine belt on and it seems to be to long??? What to do???? 1997 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 OHV. Shouldnt it fit the same??? Also what the correct routing?? Thank you

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Youve gotta be routing it incorrectly. Do a search or check the topic finder features at the top of this page for vulcan serp. belt routing diagram.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Assuming you get it routed on correctly, is the pump pulley same size as the old one?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
We all make dumb mistakes..... I changed the belt a while ago on my "new to me" 95 GL Vulcan. Appeared to be too long.... WTF? Yup, had it routed wrong. And I have been working on cars for 40 years.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I recently changed the belt on my 94 leSabre and was sure the motor mount had to be removed to do it. While moving the loosened belt out of the way to get to the last motor mount bolt, I noticed the belt was in my hand completely separated from the car. All I had to do was look at the diagram on the back of the Gates package. Stupid. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ford Taurus just turned 99,000 miles. Good practice to go ahead and change the serpentine belt? How long do these things last? I don't see damage but this many miles 2007 model SEL. Looks fairly easy to do.

SUP

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ford Taurus just turned 99,000 miles. Good practice to go ahead and change the serpentine belt? How long do these things last? I don't see damage but this many miles 2007 model SEL. Looks fairly easy to do.

SUP
Yes. the belt is a maintenance item and 100K is the service interval.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't change it unless it is chirping or it breaks. (I would keep a spare in the trunk with the appropriate wrench, just in case it breaks anyways.)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Check the underside for cracks, damage, wear, etc. first.
The ribbed section, not the flat part. I usually go by if there are more than 3 or 4 cracks per inch, replace it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts