Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Taurus with 3.0L Duratec DOHC 24-valve. I need to remove the 3 rear spark plugs but need help. Can someone give me detailed instructions and pictures/diagrams of how to get those suckers out? I've read information on it but don't know what some parts are so when it tells me to take that part out...I don't know what part they are actually asking about...

Please someone help me...I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
VERY simple..... remove the passanger side cowl(3 clips and 3 screws) then you have all the room you are looking for. If you have really big hands, you can remove the 3 bolts on the coil to get it out of the way if need be. I just did mine 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY simple..... remove the passanger side cowl(3 clips and 3 screws) then you have all the room you are looking for. If you have really big hands, you can remove the 3 bolts on the coil to get it out of the way if need be. I just did mine 2 weeks ago.

What are cowls? Is that the vent looking thing just below the windshield? Is that what you removed? So I don't need to remove the plenum/menifold/etc...to get to those rear plugs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Though it's aggravating me, after I get this latest repair done by the shop I'm still going to pay to have it tuned up. I gave up a long time ago trying to do anything beyond oil changing.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
My opinion on this subject still stand though. The intake gaskets harden and shrink with age, who is to say how long they might last. I prefer to remove the upper intake, and replace the gaskets while I change the spark plugs. It makes access to them much easier, and then I get the peace of mind that my upper intake gaskets are new, so I am less likely to have the all too common lean codes or other problems caused by vacuum leaks.

Its not to hard, and really not that time consuming, just make sure you get an EGR gasket too, it does not come in the intake gasket set. While you are at it, get some throttle body cleaner, and clean the intake while it is out of the way, getting that stuff out really does improve the way the vehicle runs.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Combining Maint.

My opinion on this subject still stand though. The intake gaskets harden and shrink with age, who is to say how long they might last. I prefer to remove the upper intake, and replace the gaskets while I change the spark plugs. It makes access to them much easier, and then I get the peace of mind that my upper intake gaskets are new, so I am less likely to have the all too common lean codes or other problems caused by vacuum leaks.

Its not to hard, and really not that time consuming, just make sure you get an EGR gasket too, it does not come in the intake gasket set. While you are at it, get some throttle body cleaner, and clean the intake while it is out of the way, getting that stuff out really does improve the way the vehicle runs.
Very good point in my op.

Combining maintenance items saves work and frustration.

I just started this process. I ordered a DPFE (Motorcraft) from RockAuto as my '01 sets a code for excess EGR maybe once a week to once every 2 months. Replaced EGR and solenoid with used parts and exact same thing happens. Now, 111K and original plugs. Good time to do plugs and check wires. I would not replace a wire unless it is defective. Just my experience. Also replace the vaccum line out the bottom to somewhere that is hard, and the PCV elbow which may be soft. Hard to tell. It is original so it is about that time to fail.

So, I will be taking the upper intake off do do these things. I would also put rags in the intake holes, lest I drop something. I am good at that. Not world class, but good enough.

Happy Maintenance.

-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.