Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not much for audio. So I apologize for any stupid questions.

I am ditching the Ford radio in my Taurus. I am going to run all my audio (FM, CD, Mp3) from a PC in the trunk. I will have 4 channels of line out from the PC. What do I need to power the speakers? Any 4 channel amp with RCA inputs will work? Do I just control the volume with windows?

What do you guys recommend for amps? I will probably just keep my stock 4 speakers. I don't listen to my music too loud.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, you connect the line out of the computer into a 4 channel amp, my friend did this with a creative audigy soundcard or something which has front and rear outputs. Windows controls the volume, balance, and fader of the audio. The sound card also has sub out if you want that too.
You can buy a usb type volume control to adjust volume to save you going through all of windows options.

Julian

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Anybody recommend a good amp? It only needs to power 4 stock speakers, so nothing special. Just want good quality and fair price.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do yourself and your ears a favor. Spring for some new speakers. The difference will be dramatic. You don't even need to break the bank to get some good ones.

You'll thank me later

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mean Green@Feb 12 2004, 01:57 AM
Do yourself and your ears a favor. Spring for some new speakers. The difference will be dramatic. You don't even need to break the bank to get some good ones.

You'll thank me later
OK, got any recommendations?

·
Registered
233 Posts
With speakers you gotta go to a store and listen to some to see how they sound. I can give you some recommendations of brands I like, but you might not like the sound. I personally love Alpine equipment, they Type R stuff tends to be a bit pricey, but I find its worth it - JL Audio is not bad either.

For amps I prefer to go for known brands, something like a pioneer 4 channel amp (they have 2 models of them here in Australia with varying RMS) is decent sounding, yet not hugely expensive, but you would have to look around whats available.

Well I hope I made some sense to you, since to me I didn't.
Oh well
Julian

·
Registered
746 Posts
MTX produces cheap amps that put out a good deal of power, and they do one thing that most of their competitors dont... their amps will actually put out their rated power
. JBL is another company that makes pretty decent amps that will put out right around their rated power. both of those company's can be found cheap on the internet, as well as on ebay. you can find some fantastic deals on ebay if you look around for a while.

as for components, lots of people like infinity's line of speakers. they are very good, and they are not too expensive. i have found that MB quart also has some pretty good sets of front speakers. once again though, if you look around on the internet you will find some great deals on them. one company that you might be hard pressed to find in a store is called rainbow, and their speakers are outstanding, and they will not break the bank either.

alot of people like the JL products... but i would advise you to stay away from them. they can be nice, but they are WA'y overpriced, you will get mch more bang for your buck and a much better product if you go with a cheaper alternative.

P.S.--dont know if you have considered it or not, but with a computer in the trunk you could mount a touch screen to control everything up front
. that wold be pretty sweet if you have the bank to do it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by hoss@Feb 12 2004, 09:30 AM
P.S.--dont know if you have considered it or not, but with a computer in the trunk you could mount a touch screen to control everything up front
. that wold be pretty sweet if you have the bank to do it.
That's the plan.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts