Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already swapped the whole subframe into the 2000 and can't get car to start and was wondering how much I have to change over to get car to run??? PCM stayed with car and ive swapped out the lock cylinder, key ring, and ignition switch...also the fuse block/panel under the dash (drivers side) I've also swapped out. Fuel pump is not coming on and no fuel pressure at rail. Thanks in advance any help greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
'00 and '01 completely different fuel systems. In fact, '01 is a one year only system. In fact, the 00 is cop and '01 is coil pack.
No suggestions.
-chart-

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Computer, wiring harness, gas tank, fuel pump fuel pump wiring, fuel lines and Y pipe needs to be part of the swap. Two years are significantly different.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
The fuel pump on a 2001 is driven at full voltage and internally there is a pressure regulating valve that relieves pressure to the design pressure after it flows through the fuel filter. The fuel filter has three connections, a feed to filter,return to tank and feed to engine. I believe the 2000 drives the pump with full voltage but has a return line for pressure regulation at the engine. If I am wrong about the 2000 then it is a modulated voltage and no return line, not sure. How did you hook up the fuel line after the switch?

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Also did you hook up the cam synchronized which times the fuel injection. 2000 DOHC doesn't have one but 2001 OHV does. Seems to me this question about this swap was asked a week or so ago. Was that you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2000 is the OHV and it is also flexible fuel and the 2001 is the DOHC car. I ended up cutting the fuel line coming from the tank and splicing in the line from the DOHC car...it goes directly to the fuel rail whereas the ohv it was setup where it goes into a valve on the passenger fenderwell first then into the fuel rail...which is now where the power steering reservoir is mounted. And yes I posted a few days ago but with no response unfortunately but I appreciate everyone's now as I am determined to get this car running. I know the 2001 car ran great before, I drove it into the bay and dropped it out...lol thx

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
So your swap was a DOHC into a car that was a OHV. I guess the question I have since I am not sure about a 2000 OHV is "does it have a return line that returns gas from the engine to the tank that is nor used by the engine. I believe 2001 was the first year of a non return system which the EPA required. After 2001 they modulated the pump to achieve pressure and didn't return gas to the tank because it was easier than 2001 version.. You need to resolve that issue. Also if you didn't change the computer to a DOHC computer you have an issue with how the computer determined the injection timing. Did you try a shot of starting fluid to see if the ignition even works?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yes my swap was a DOHC to a OHV car and I don't believe it has a fuel return line on the OHV car setup and yes I did keep the PCM with the car...never was unplugged. So it still thinks its the DOHC car...ill eventually make it work its just a matter of how far I have to go to achieve that lol and my back, hip, knees, and knuckles say I can't go much farther...but honestly after this fuel system change over there really won't be anything left...has to work ;)

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
You said the computer stayed with the car so it is a OHV computer, right? But yet you said it thinks it is a DOHC car! It would be helpful if you list what parts are in the car you are going to try to start. I am confused but that is easy for me to get that way and a list of components in the car you will be driving would help. Engine, computer, engine wiring harness, fuel pump, fuel pump harness, fuel pump tubing and whether it was a DOHC or OHC. I am concerned about the camshaft timing which is different in an OHC and DOHC. Also your fuel pressure control on a 2001 doesn't have a return line, I know, but I think the 2000 engine expects one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm...I don't know..I swapped fuel tanks and everything that goes with that and still nothing...still not hearing the fuel pump cycle when i turn the key. Guess ill keep going, not sure what's left lol ?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
335 Posts
I know it sounds simple, but have you checked the fuse? Sometimes the simple gets overlooked.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I have already swapped the whole subframe into the 2000 and can't get car to start and was wondering how much I have to change over to get car to run??? PCM stayed with car and ive swapped out the lock cylinder, key ring, and ignition switch...also the fuse block/panel under the dash (drivers side) I've also swapped out. Fuel pump is not coming on and no fuel pressure at rail. Thanks in advance any help greatly appreciated...
Using the key from the donor car?
-chart-

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
You may need to get wiring diagrams from a 2001 DOHC to see if it is similar to a 2000 to check all wiring. So you replaced all wiring harnesses of the 2000 with those of the 2001 DOHC. If not what was not replaced. I strongly suggest you use starting fluid in the intake and put the snorkel back on and see it it tries to fire up. If not you may also be dealing with an ignition issue also. Did you swap out the engine compartment fuse block it maybe different relay arrangement for the fuel pump between years. I have a 2001 electrical manual but not a 2000.

Does anyone know how the 2000 controlled fuel pressure. Did it use a in engine compartment pressure regulator or did it use a voltage modulated control to the pump???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Know the return less systems have a fuel pump control module behind the rear passenger seat, the computer reads the fuel rail pressure sensor then send a duty cycle signal to the module and the module powers the pump (ground side switched).

Module is around this area, look inside the trunk:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up hotwiring the fuel pump to a toggle switch and it runs fine but the pump doesnt shut off unless by switch but i guess its fine i dont know...driven it 35 miles already and no issues...??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts