Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went out to my car and now my ignition turns freely. I am suspecting it is that darn ignition actuating rod pin that is a pain in the butt to replace. Ignition was removed and it turns freely. Was this covered under recall for the 1996 Taurus? My guess is no. If it isn't, could I just cut up the wires and make it a push button ignition? Not sure how the vehicle will turn off though. It is stuck in the on position currently. Had to pull the battery cable to avoid a drained battery. Please let me know as I am in a tough financial position and paying a dealer wouldn't be an option. :angry: Thank You.

I have a 1996 Taurus GL

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No tips? Someone also mentioned pulling the ignition control module down from the column and starting the vehicle that way. I am sure some of you guys have ran into this problem. How do I start the vehicle through the ignition control module and is it reliable way of starting and using the vehicle? :mellow:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply! So this could be a fix that should be decently reliable? I am only keeping the vehicle one more year at most. Do I need a key anymore if I am just starting the vehicle, etc this way? Is it hard to turn by hand and will it interfere with the airbag system in anyway? Thanks again! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.