Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went out to my car and now my ignition turns freely. I am suspecting it is that darn ignition actuating rod pin that is a pain in the butt to replace. Ignition was removed and it turns freely. Was this covered under recall for the 1996 Taurus? My guess is no. If it isn't, could I just cut up the wires and make it a push button ignition? Not sure how the vehicle will turn off though. It is stuck in the on position currently. Had to pull the battery cable to avoid a drained battery. Please let me know as I am in a tough financial position and paying a dealer wouldn't be an option. :angry: Thank You.

I have a 1996 Taurus GL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No tips? Someone also mentioned pulling the ignition control module down from the column and starting the vehicle that way. I am sure some of you guys have ran into this problem. How do I start the vehicle through the ignition control module and is it reliable way of starting and using the vehicle? :mellow:

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Remove covers and pull out the actual ignition switch (big connector with a bunch of heavy gauge wires connected to it. The pin sticking out of the switch is what the lock cylinder moves via the rod when the key is turned. Firmly hold the switch and slide the pin to run, start, off, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply! So this could be a fix that should be decently reliable? I am only keeping the vehicle one more year at most. Do I need a key anymore if I am just starting the vehicle, etc this way? Is it hard to turn by hand and will it interfere with the airbag system in anyway? Thanks again! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.