Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I bought my 2001 taurus Sel DOCH about 1 year 2 months ago with about 87k on it for $4,000.. I have been getting my oil changes every 5,000 miles. The car had only 1 major problem the dealer screwed me on. I had to replace the a/c compressor and many noises went away and thank god i have a/c this summer. Most places wanted $700+ for the jon but found a garage that did it all for $465. I just had my friend put new front pads in and that took care of the shaking getting off the highway. Well i really like this car and my buddy is going to do the tuneup for me. Not being lazy but my mom is down and is going to let me order the parts with her bill me later account and Advance auto parts have free shipping and like %20 off.. Seeing its a 24 Valve DOCH i do not know if there is any special maint i need to keep up with but this is what i plan on doing.
1. New Spark Plugs And Wires
2. Fuel Filter
3. Air Filter

Thats all i came up with so far.. I am also going to do the the project listed on the forum to drain the tranny and put the new filter on too. I more or less did the cooling system allready the other day. The hose in the back of the engine let go were the metal part was rotted so my buddy put in a regular rubber hose, So most of the antifreeze was replaced. O yes there is almost 100k on the car now..

My mother is spending a night so she is willing to pay for the parts for my birthday. I do not want to make it expensive on her, But would like to get the stuff that is important and will prevent major problems. So any advice on what else i may need for this type of engine would be greatly appreciated!! One other note when looking at plugs at advance customerss comments were to use motorcraft because they are original and made for the car were if i got the better brand with pltinum tips would cause more problems for the engine later on. is that true? I am going to use autolite for wires instead of the motorcraft or is that a mistake? I will have plenty of rime to read and research but i only have a day to figure out what parts i need to buy that are most important for this engine and tranny and i figure i could spend $250-300. i save the plugs and wires,air filter, and fuel filter in basket and with discount came to $95

Once again i thankyou and plan on doing reading and other projects listed here and cant wait. I just hope the tuneup helps with the hesitation. Say if i am on highway doing 75 i put gas on lighty it feels as tho car loses power for a second maybe 2 to 4 times then no problem. Does this perodicly and a only noticabe at higher speeds say 50+ but not all the time. This is why the TuneUp is so important and do not want to miss a stupid little part.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Trust me on this: Do not use that platinum garbage plugs. Motorcraft is good, I put Autolites in mine, and all seems well. I used them platinum things back when I was a rookie. More expensive does not mean better! Keep that in mind, lol. Autolite for wires is probably alright. Seems like you have the majority of the tune-up stuff in your list already. One thing I would replace, if you havent done it in the last 20ish thousand miles is the pollen filter. It's under the cowl on the right side of the car.

Also, welcome to here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
Thank You for the reply. It was a toss up on the plugs for me because some people say you get what you pay for but like i said some say that it does nothing and can cause damage. I have i the basket motorcraft original equipment finewire single platinum plug for $4.99ea. As i mentioned the autolite wires i see there plug Autolite single platinum spark plug for $2.74 ... Should i stick with the motorcraft plugs or go with the Autolite seeing i am using Autolite wires? As far as that pollen filter i would bet it has never been changed. I will try to find that in the car in a few. What would that part be called at advaced auto parts and cost about? if you know. Thank You so much!

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Pcv

Hello All,
I bought my 2001 taurus Sel DOCH about 1 year 2 months ago with about 87k on it for $4,000.. I have been getting my oil changes every 5,000 miles. The car had only 1 major problem the dealer screwed me on. I had to replace the a/c compressor and many noises went away and thank god i have a/c this summer. Most places wanted $700+ for the jon but found a garage that did it all for $465. I just had my friend put new front pads in and that took care of the shaking getting off the highway. Well i really like this car and my buddy is going to do the tuneup for me. Not being lazy but my mom is down and is going to let me order the parts with her bill me later account and Advance auto parts have free shipping and like %20 off.. Seeing its a 24 Valve DOCH i do not know if there is any special maint i need to keep up with but this is what i plan on doing.
1. New Spark Plugs And Wires
2. Fuel Filter
3. Air Filter

Thats all i came up with so far.. I am also going to do the the project listed on the forum to drain the tranny and put the new filter on too. I more or less did the cooling system allready the other day. The hose in the back of the engine let go were the metal part was rotted so my buddy put in a regular rubber hose, So most of the antifreeze was replaced. O yes there is almost 100k on the car now..

My mother is spending a night so she is willing to pay for the parts for my birthday. I do not want to make it expensive on her, But would like to get the stuff that is important and will prevent major problems. So any advice on what else i may need for this type of engine would be greatly appreciated!! One other note when looking at plugs at advance customerss comments were to use motorcraft because they are original and made for the car were if i got the better brand with pltinum tips would cause more problems for the engine later on. is that true? I am going to use autolite for wires instead of the motorcraft or is that a mistake? I will have plenty of rime to read and research but i only have a day to figure out what parts i need to buy that are most important for this engine and tranny and i figure i could spend $250-300. i save the plugs and wires,air filter, and fuel filter in basket and with discount came to $95

Once again i thankyou and plan on doing reading and other projects listed here and cant wait. I just hope the tuneup helps with the hesitation. Say if i am on highway doing 75 i put gas on lighty it feels as tho car loses power for a second maybe 2 to 4 times then no problem. Does this perodicly and a only noticabe at higher speeds say 50+ but not all the time. This is why the TuneUp is so important and do not want to miss a stupid little part.
One thing unusual about this engine and your year is the PCV valve and hose. Lots of posts about the rubber elbow failing, making a major vacuum leak. You do well to do the air filter and PCV and hose all at one time to save work. All require the air filter box to be opened.

Book is 0.4 hours for the PCV (not the hose) which tranlates to about $40 in labor alone. I am posting some pics. The hose is upgraded version from Ford and I would only use that. It comes with the short hose to connect to the valve. If you get only the valve, you find the hose is not reusable that connects to it. I used RockAuto.com for the Ford hose assembly, about $10 less than shop price. The PCV valve likely comes with a little aluminum tube wrapped around it. It is not used in this application, toss it away.

In my pic of the engine bay, you do not need to remove the EGR or upper intake. I did just for the pic and some other work. However, getting the old hose off the intake is another trick.

Otherwise normal maintenance. I would not do wires unless they are damaged. Others will not agree.

From the old coot.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
You have an 01 DOHC Duratec that has a waste spark ignition system. Best to use DOUBLE Platinum plugs in a waste spark system. As others have said, stay away from non Motorcraft / Autolite brands of plugs, especially the multiple electrode ones, and ESPECIALLY Bosch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing unusual about this engine and your year is the PCV valve and hose. Lots of posts about the rubber elbow failing, making a major vacuum leak. You do well to do the air filter and PCV and hose all at one time to save work. All require the air filter box to be opened.

Book is 0.4 hours for the PCV (not the hose) which tranlates to about $40 in labor alone. I am posting some pics. The hose is upgraded version from Ford and I would only use that. It comes with the short hose to connect to the valve. If you get only the valve, you find the hose is not reusable that connects to it. I used RockAuto.com for the Ford hose assembly, about $10 less than shop price. The PCV valve likely comes with a little aluminum tube wrapped around it. It is not used in this application, toss it away.

In my pic of the engine bay, you do not need to remove the EGR or upper intake. I did just for the pic and some other work. However, getting the old hose off the intake is another trick.

Otherwise normal maintenance. I would not do wires unless they are damaged. Others will not agree.

From the old coot.

-chart-
Ok i will deff check this out today in a bit and see if i can find it. Then getting part names specific will be my next step for ordering. I see the pics but the woring was to small. TY I do he a hissing sound towards the driving side so i feel as tho it sounds like a vacum leak. maybe it is that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have an 01 DOHC Duratec that has a waste spark ignition system. Best to use DOUBLE Platinum plugs in a waste spark system. As others have said, stay away from non Motorcraft / Autolite brands of plugs, especially the multiple electrode ones, and ESPECIALLY Bosch.
OK sounds like i will stick with the motorcraft plugs for the $4.99 then. I do not want to cut corners because i know it will cost me more in the future. Thanx

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
It would just be called the pollen filter, as far as price, I dunno. Was a while ago I got mine, and don't remember. But I got mine from the dealer, I don't think they had it at Advance.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Cabin Air Filter

It would just be called the pollen filter, as far as price, I dunno. Was a while ago I got mine, and don't remember. But I got mine from the dealer, I don't think they had it at Advance.
Here is what I use, and they are called Cabin Air Filter.

Bit of a trick to get them in. Old ones are bit of a trash collector.

Installation is a bit different build date 5-1-01 before and after, same place but cowl looks different in the water deflector.

-chart-
Shown is Bosh from RockAuto.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Autolite or motorcraft for the plugs and wires and youll be set. Air and fuel filters are a good idea, too. Just click on Charts pics to enlarge the wording.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i thank you guys for adding your comments and experience and i am going ahead and placing my order for the following item.
1. 6 motorcraft spark plugs and Delta wires if needed
2. Fuel Filter
3. Reg Air Filter
4. Cabin Air Filter
5. Tranny Filter And Gasket And Fluid But not sure how much fluid i need
6. PCV Valve And Hose

Well i guess that sums it all up. Does not seem like a lot because i see garages that say tune up's for a v6 at 100k miles cost $400+.. So am i missing some more stuff that i am suppose to be doimg ? I know they charge labor but like $200 or so? I'm glad to have a friend that will do all this for like $75 bucks or so... Well i will put off the order till 2morow. Can anyone say how much tranny fluid i will need for the flush?

Once Again Thanx In Advance!!!!!!1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dumb question! I havent done much reading yet but i noticed this engine word used a few times allready and it sounds like i have this specific engine that may go with this word "Duratec".. Is this good or bad? LoL sorry for being Duh!

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
96+ Tauri come with 2 possible engines: The "old school" 2 valve per cyl pushrod 3.0L Vulcan engine that produces 145 to 155 HP, or the Duratec 3.0L DOHC 4 valve per cyl engine that produces around 200HP (seems to vairy a little year to year). Both are very reliable, long living engines that will go 300+ K miles when maintained properly and not abused. While less powerful, the Vulcan is easier to work on (in some cases much easier) than the Duratec. As with every engine ever made, each has its own unique quirks and common failure points.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Well i thank you guys for adding your comments and experience and i am going ahead and placing my order for the following item.
1. 6 motorcraft spark plugs and Delta wires if needed
2. Fuel Filter
3. Reg Air Filter
4. Cabin Air Filter
5. Tranny Filter And Gasket And Fluid But not sure how much fluid i need
6. PCV Valve And Hose

Well i guess that sums it all up. Does not seem like a lot because i see garages that say tune up's for a v6 at 100k miles cost $400+.. So am i missing some more stuff that i am suppose to be doimg ? I know they charge labor but like $200 or so? I'm glad to have a friend that will do all this for like $75 bucks or so... Well i will put off the order till 2morow. Can anyone say how much tranny fluid i will need for the flush?

Once Again Thanx In Advance!!!!!!1
What trans filter kit did you buy? There's something to be said about the 'el cheapo' rubber gaskets(garbage). I just did mine and it took about 7 Qts or mercon V fluid. Make sure you use Mercon V, none else!

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Filter

What trans filter kit did you buy? There's something to be said about the 'el cheapo' rubber gaskets(garbage). I just did mine and it took about 7 Qts or mercon V fluid. Make sure you use Mercon V, none else!
I am getting ready to do my trans.
'01 111K and '03 81K.

I am going to order Motorcraft form RockAuto. ~$15.

Reuse the gasket.

TORQUE the bolts. :)

-chart-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,
I did not order the stuff yet. I am buying most of my stuff from advance auto parts because my mother gave me here info to use bill me later and they take bill me later for payment. Infact everything is in my cart for the job Exept the pcv valve and hose that i will get from rockland.com. I am stuck on what i need to get for the tranny parts. I got the fluid in cart at advance i got 10 quarts but need to know what filter and gasket i need. I read alot of people not liking the gasket and say use cork or something. But i read you bought your tranny stuff at advance. Well thats all i need to find out i want a tranny filter and a good gasket thats easy and good (exact fit) to my car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i have to order my PCV Valve and that Upgraded Hose from rockauto.com can you tell me what place has the best as to exact fit and a gasket that is not crappy and hard to do? If advance has the items i'd rather order it there as it's a B-Day Gift. Never did this before but when we change tranny fluid you guy's are reffering to the tranny pan right? Remove tranny pan and the filter is in there right? And thats the gasket i need is for the tranny pan obviously if i got this right. My friend is out of town till Tuesday so no help from him, But i want to order this stuff 2morow if i can. Thank You All!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts