Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignore the profile picture as I just wanted to have something there besides an M. I use to own a Camaro SS haha.

Anywho, I am looking at a Ford Taurus to replace my current daily, and I'd like something big. I was kind of surprised that I found these in my price range, and they fit my need with a small child who will be taking up a back seat. I've done a fair amount of research and the only issue I can find on these cars is the water pump being a real pain if it ever lets go. I just can't find many topics relating to 2014 models having any serious issues with this at any mileage points later in it's life.

Coming from the GM world and more recently Subaru this does make me nervous. Water pumps are a $40 part and something I can do myself on those vehicles whereas this would put a big dent on the ole bank account if she blew. So I guess I'm asking is this a real serious issue that would cause me to avoid the vehicle entirely or is it something people dwell on while on the internet while these cars clock big mileage numbers?

I live in VA and all state trooper cars are these new Fords so I reckon failures must be few and far between. I remember on Camaro5 everyone harped on about the LS3's oil pump being weak but I couldn't find any consistent failures other than people who put a fat cam in the ole girl and didn't bother upgrading anything else.

Thanks for the info, my dad has owned two Fords in my life and frankly got plenty of life out of both. An 80's Thunderbird(pre transmission problems idk what vintage) and an early 00's Explorer that went 330,000 miles before he gave it away. That Explorer is still running to my knowledge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh also, the car I'm looking at has only 52,000 miles. It's the manager of the dealerships trade in, so all of the documentation is there. The only thing out of the ordinary on the carfax is "steering/suspension lubricated"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great cars to drive and ride in, just dreading the day the WP fails.
see that’s the thing I can’t find any concrete evidence that this is a widespread issue among the later years of this gen.

sure it appears a possibility but it also seems like if the car is maintained then it likely has the same failure rate as anything else. As said my LS3 had a weak oil pump, there were some random failures that ended up being costly engine swaps but it wasn’t a widespread issue that frankly only occurred in the first two years of production.

·
Registered
133 Posts
see that’s the thing I can’t find any concrete evidence that this is a widespread issue among the later years of this gen.

sure it appears a possibility but it also seems like if the car is maintained then it likely has the same failure rate as anything else. As said my LS3 had a weak oil pump, there were some random failures that ended up being costly engine swaps but it wasn’t a widespread issue that frankly only occurred in the first two years of production.
From what I understand, the water pump issue is wide spread enough that there is a class action suit filed against Ford by Ford Flex owners. You'll want to note that the Flex and Taurus use the same engine. There is a thread on here (https://www.taurusclub.com/threads/class-action-against-ford-flex.351203/#post-3468267) about the water pump failures, that will give you more information.

Here's more info: http://www.carproblemzoo.com/ford/taurus/water-pump-problems.php. From here I learned that the problem started in 2010, and was still an issue in 2015. You will find it worthy of note that, while finding data is difficult, and the latest failure I saw in the site I referenced is 2015, 2016 and newer don't have enough miles on them for the water pump to fail.

Ford has, from what I gather, not acknowledged that there is a problem, so it's hard to know whether or not the water pump was redesigned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts