Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ended auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...273483&rd=1

Bought these for retro fit into GenIII headlight assemblies (I have a spare set I have been keeping specifically for this mod). I'll post more pics when I get them. I plan on just using halogen bulbs- too much mucking around to fit HID and they aren't legal in Australia unless the car comes with them from the factory.

Just a side note, in Australia these modules are $215.00 each! Where as I can buy two for $85 dollars and pay $30 for postage. All together comes to $145 Australian dollars when you change it over.

...So they're made in China, they go to America and then they come to Australia. Yet still cheaper than buying them here. Go figure.

I'm so looking forward to the finished product... :)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. They're almost complete, I just need to seal the units and dress the area around the projector unit to hide the old reflector. Here's another teaser. Full write up soon for those who are interested, promise. :D

I've done a backflip on making the units HID. Turns out that my mechanic will pass the car on its yearly inspection if I was to fit HID because the car now has projectors.

All in all, first unit took me a few hours to put together. The second took me half an hour. LOL. :rolleyes2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
[image=width=50]http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/image]I LIKE! I LIKE![image=width=50]http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/image]

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how much money have you spent on these
[/b]
Just a side note, in Australia these modules are $215.00 each! Where as I can buy two for $85 dollars and pay $30 for postage. All together comes to $145 Australian dollars when you change it over.
[/b]

For the Hella projector modules: $145 Australian dollars- that is $115 American dollars. Plus a couple of dollars for some sealant, self tapping screws and nuts/bolts etc.

My HID kit that I bought from eBay, including bulbs, ballasts and mounting brackets, has cost me $114 Australian dollars.

The cost of the Hella modules work out cheaper than most aftermarket units for other popular cars, also you know they are quality because they are Hella. Very economic I think. :thumb:

Love those rims on your car BTW.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Excellent work. :thumb:

The picture showing 1 projector and housing, the projector looks like it's aimed funny/crooked. Will you be doing further adjustments before they go into the car?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent work. :thumb:

The picture showing 1 projector and housing, the projector looks like it's aimed funny/crooked. Will you be doing further adjustments before they go into the car?
[/b]
I have them on the car now, they are aligned and straight and the beams line up together. In that picture the factory aiming is pointed down. I have done the mod in such a way that the factory aiming system remains functional- allowing me to adjust them in the same way as the stock headlights. :D

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
so how much money have you spent on these
[/b]
[/b]

For the Hella projector modules: $145 Australian dollars- that is $115 American dollars. Plus a couple of dollars for some sealant, self tapping screws and nuts/bolts etc.

My HID kit that I bought from eBay, including bulbs, ballasts and mounting brackets, has cost me $114 Australian dollars.

The cost of the Hella modules work out cheaper than most aftermarket units for other popular cars, also you know they are quality because they are Hella. Very economic I think. :thumb:

Love those rims on your car BTW.
[/b][/quote]

So you got this whole setup for pretty cheap then, thats awesome. You should get a picture of them shining on a wall or something showing the cutoff line

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I've been wanting to do something similar for a long time, just haven't taken the plunge. I looked at some of the "free form" lamps with the idea of cramming 2 reflectors into the stock G3 headlamp housing. Do you think it would be possible to mount a 90mm projector and a smaller reflector into the same housing? Hella makes high and low beam 90mm projectors.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been wanting to do something similar for a long time, just haven't taken the plunge. I looked at some of the "free form" lamps with the idea of cramming 2 reflectors into the stock G3 headlamp housing. Do you think it would be possible to mount a 90mm projector and a smaller reflector into the same housing? Hella makes high and low beam 90mm projectors.
[/b]
I saw the high beam units, I would have loved to have incorporated them into the assembely but I really wanted to preserve the original aiming device. That said, I have seen Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (at http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/u/mulgeary/Hella90/) where the hella units have been bolted into the structures that are directly behind where the factory units sit. It looks pretty good on the Camaro but I think because the Taurus headlight lenses 'complete' the corners of the car. It could be difficult- unless you adapt the factory lens to go over the units. I have some small fog lights down the bottom in the lower grill which should compensate for not having factory high beam however I was going to install a second set in the upper grill to compensate.

I finished my headlights today, I'll be working on the full write up later tonight, used some aluminum fence mesh my dad had in the garage to dress up the surrounds. Here is a picture of the finished product as well as a pic of the cut off line against the wall in the underground garage of my complex (with the Osram 65w halogen H9 bulbs). The cutoff pic is a bit blurry because of the camera (shutter speed?) but you can see how the lines are straight to each other with the driver headlight (Aussie driver) lower than the passenger to reduce glare to oncoming traffic (I had to open them and reverse the cut off shield in the actual assembly for RHD configuration). More in the write up. They are HEAPS brighter in person- pictures don't do it justice.

I haven't got my HID kit yet, should receive this sometime in the next week- once that's on I'll take some more pics of the cut off lines- which should be heaps sharper compared to halogen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... here is the rear with the silicone on. You can see how the Hella assembly is mounted so that the bulb is accessible in the same way as the factory bulb. This is where fitting both high and low beam units in the one lense can pose some problems.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Joshua wins the prize for best application of gutter mesh!!!! Looks excellent.
[/b]
+1!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts