Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Taurus SEL AWD ~130k miles

Hello everyone,

As a prerequisite, I recently had the unfortunate experience with the infamous water pump failure (luckily i have a lifetime powertrain warranty and was only out a $300 deductible).

Ever since it was replaced a couple weeks ago, I’ve been experiencing some heavy vibrations/rattling on the interstate that doesn't usually start until 75-80+ mph and seems to get worse driving in the wind.

At first I assumed it was my tires, as they were already close to in need of replacement, so I went ahead and got 4 new tires, balanced, alignment, etc.... car drives just fine around town but the vibrations at high speeds are still there! It’s also not consistent, it doesnt seem to do it 100% of the time, but majority of time it will, especially in wind.

Add’l Info:
  • I can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel but not strongly, I dont think its the source.
  • I dont really loss control of the vehicle with the vibrations start, it just shakes the chassis.
  • feels more like a vertical (up and down) shaking on the wheels as if I were sitting in one of those $50 massage chairs.
  • the front right fender well is especially noisy when it occurs.
Sorry for the long post but trying to provide as much info as possible. Any response is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have been chasing a vibration in my '13 AWD Limited. I have just about replaced everything in the drive train except the CV axles. Mine also seems to be at the right front. The last part of replacement parts may be trying the right front axle assembly. I have replaced tires 2x, all 4 hub bearings, rotors, pads, wheels, PTU and yes, water pump (only because I had to, Warranty @ 90K). I really like the car but this vibration kind of irritates me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too have been chasing a vibration in my '13 AWD Limited. I have just about replaced everything in the drive train except the CV axles. Mine also seems to be at the right front. The last part of replacement parts may be trying the right front axle assembly. I have replaced tires 2x, all 4 hub bearings, rotors, pads, wheels, PTU and yes, water pump (only because I had to, Warranty @ 90K). I really like the car but this vibration kind of irritates me.

My goodness, wow yea I definitely dont want to spend any more money at this point until I know for sure it will fix the issue. I too have had the PTU replaced but this issue didnt come about really until after the water pump replacement job so I’m wondering if maybe something wasnt properly torqued when they put everything back together ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Have you also checked/replaced on struts/springs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen bad tires any up once they heat up. A cheap test would be to rotate the tires and see if it changes the feel at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
336 Posts
Look under the car to see if the air dam cover is properly installed. I see many cars going down the road with those flapping in the breeze and I think, they have to feel that vibration. I had one rip off after an oil change. Luckily the dealer replace it since the front holes were all in tack and the rear holes were ripped apart (IE, no screws installed on the front) .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen bad tires any up once they heat up. A cheap test would be to rotate the tires and see if it changes the feel at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply but as I mentioned, the problem has persisted on two different sets of tires. At first I assumed it was the tires which is why I went ahead and bought all new tires just this week. Im planning to take it back in and have one of the mechanics ride down the interstate with me so they can experience it themselves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look under the car to see if the air dam cover is properly installed. I see many cars going down the road with those flapping in the breeze and I think, they have to feel that vibration. I had one rip off after an oil change. Luckily the dealer replace it since the front holes were all in tack and the rear holes were ripped apart (IE, no screws installed on the front) .
Thanks for the reply! I have checked under the car, nothing is hanging or loose. I truly believe the problem relies somewhere in the suspension but for a strut/spring to just start doing that out of the blue? doesnt make sense to me. The suspension isnt completely worn IMO it’s still fairly stiff (not too much bouncing or nose diving)

·
Registered
2013 Limited
469 Posts
I'd think it was a strut, they may not have tightened it down or they installed it incorrectly, if they for whatever reason removed the whole thing. I have the same issue and have replaced everything BUT struts. No obvious issues on mine either.

Have the front wheels been moved to the rear to rule out an out of round rim? No shaking during braking?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll be checking it soon when the weather breaks. Still just a bit too wet and cold to be under the car now.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Check your front wheel bearings (hub). Lift car and see if there is play in the wheel when you grab it firm and shake it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts