Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of heavily modifying my 2002 Taurus SE. It's been almost 2 years and many thousands of dollars so far, with much more to come. Rebuilding a duplicate VULCAN motor, with stroker kist, roller rockers, 100lb injectors and much more. Then intend to bolt up an MTX-4 5-speed tranny and finally turbo charge.

You may ask why the VULCAN engine. Because no one has done it to the point I will be. I want her to be a true original and ultimately a show car.

Have a look at her on my profile and see her mods, so far, in my garage. Please let me know your thought, questions and ideas.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks like a pretty bad case of the SAS. Front needs lowering.

I like the nose piece, hood might be a little much IMO. Definitely needs larger wheels to look "right".

Don't know anything about that engine's potential, but hot air intake can't be helping.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been searching for a coil over kit to level her off. Can't find anyone in North America that makes one. -- The wheels are still stock. Toronto winter is right around the corner. I'll be putting 18" on come the spring. I plan to open the back of the hood scoop to push hot air out of the engine bay. Wasn't too concerned about the intake placement right now as it will all change when the intercooler goes in.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHO source does seem to have the coil overs. Well it says they will have them end of the month. Yeah, they are pricey, but everything for this car is pricey when it comes to performance as there just isn't much out there. Thank you for the link to the coil overs. I will get in touch with them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You people drive me insane. Those coilovers are cheap. Look around at what other manufacturers offer for their coilovers. The cheap ones are rubbish, and any of the good ones run around the same price.

If you're lazy:

Eibach 35101.711 - Eibach Pro-Street-S Coil-Over Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Non-adjustable, $1,300 (Mustang)

Eibach 35115-712 - Eibach Multi-Pro-R1 Coil-Over Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Adjustable, $2000 (Mustang)

And they have a larger aftermarket and lower tooling costs. I don't want to imagine what SHOSource had to pay to make them, and they're selling them for near the same price as Eibach retail (with camber/caster plates etc.) which is really good for a car with no aftermarket that nobody really cares about except us freaks.

/rant

But to the OP, I really like that front bumper, but the caps in your profile gave me a headache, I couldn't read through all that, and have lost the urge to try.

I work in Mississauga, so when you're done piecing that thing together, we can go to Cayuga.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hello JIMMER!

I saw your vehicle on the Ford Taurus FB Page, I have the Green Taurus. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To the rest of you....Thank you for the positive comments. And thank you for ideas. That's why I am here, to represent the Taurus bloodline. I just wish I could figure out how to add you guys to my friends list. *LOL*

·
Registered
564 Posts
I like that hood, that thing is just mean looking! I look forward to seeing where you go with the project, please keep us updated :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Good luck. Others, including myself, have looked into and tried to mod the Vulcan. It can be done but it come to a point where the money put in massively outweighs the performance you get out. If you have more money than you know what to do with, go ahead. If you want to do it to prove a point, buy a Duratec you'll be way ahead from the get go. There was a time where I wanted to turbo/port/polish my Vulcan but in the end it wasn't financially realistic. Don't get me wrong, these are fun cars to mod. I have a very good suspension/brake set-up on my '06. I've also done an underdrive crank pully, 1:6 roller rockers, and SCT tuning. In my opinion, if you want a fast car get a Stang, T'bird, or even a Focus (302 rwd swap) that way you have something to work with. You ambition is great but in the end you could very well have a collection of random parts, a non functioning car, and out around $10k.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jato. Well It all started because this is the car I have. Yes, the Duratec has the DOHC and more stock hp, but it withstand high hp. The block and heads will melt and have melted. Besides, I want to be the first to pump massive power out of the VULCAN. Money is not an issue. What I want is to be the first to do something, the pioneer. I want the VULCAN I am rebuilding to make over 700hp. I have 2 shops I am working with, one is Tom Morana's shop. It's about 20 minutes from where I live. Both shops agreed that 700+hp is possible if I will spend the coin. I will spend it. I am even considering sequential twin turbo. A Garrett GT22 feeding a Garrett 55. No lag and almost unlimited output. Am going with the Morana stroker kit, the Morana ARP studs, 1.8 roller rockers, etc etc etc. I don't want to do up a Mustang. I love Stangs as much as the next guy, but everyone has done up Stangs. I want to accomplish what no one else has. The plan is in place on paper, now it's just about doing the work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
you should get the 2004-2007 taillights and add the amber turn signals. Tint them and leave the bottom part clear.

i got these for 45 bucks..

BTW welcome to the club. Im gerald.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi Jato. Well It all started because this is the car I have. Yes, the Duratec has the DOHC and more stock hp, but it withstand high hp. The block and heads will melt and have melted. Besides, I want to be the first to pump massive power out of the VULCAN. Money is not an issue. What I want is to be the first to do something, the pioneer. I want the VULCAN I am rebuilding to make over 700hp. I have 2 shops I am working with, one is Tom Morana's shop. It's about 20 minutes from where I live. Both shops agreed that 700+hp is possible if I will spend the coin. I will spend it. I am even considering sequential twin turbo. A Garrett GT22 feeding a Garrett 55. No lag and almost unlimited output. Am going with the Morana stroker kit, the Morana ARP studs, 1.8 roller rockers, etc etc etc. I don't want to do up a Mustang. I love Stangs as much as the next guy, but everyone has done up Stangs. I want to accomplish what no one else has. The plan is in place on paper, now it's just about doing the work.

I understand wanting to do this as I have a Vulcan but I think that a SHO V8 (3rd Gen) would be WAY better and the swap has been done with excellent results! Maybe look into that, as they say "Speed is a question of money, how fast can you afford to go?" ;)

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually if I did the SHO swap, I would not be doing what I am trying to do. I intentionally want to build the Vulcan engine because it really hasn't been done, that I know of, to the extent I have planned. The SHO swaps have been done, I want to be totally original.

As far as the tail lights, I did just get the Euro ones and installed them. I think they look really good.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad I have become a part of this community. :)

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's like a labour of love, or mid life crisis. *LOL*. I expect, when I am finally done, to be in for around $50,000. I know, some will call me an idiot, but the plan of 700+ hp and show quality finish will be so worth it. I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to do this and I want what no one else has ever done. Can a Vulcan engine make over 700 hp? With the time, money, right parts and plan of action, it can. From stroker kit to massive turbocharger and everything in between, it can be done. I expect another 2 years before it's all done and painted.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's like a labour of love, or mid life crisis. *LOL*. I expect, when I am finally done, to be in for around $50,000. I know, some will call me an idiot, but the plan of 700+ hp and show quality finish will be so worth it. I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to do this and I want what no one else has ever done. Can a Vulcan engine make over 700 hp? With the time, money, right parts and plan of action, it can. From stroker kit to massive turbocharger and everything in between, it can be done. I expect another 2 years before it's all done and painted.
Just a heads up, if you make the block do 250 hp without boost, you're looking at ~26 psi to theoretically hit 700. Probably closer to 30 psi once all the friction's said and done. I know some ranger guys have pushed their vulcans close to the 20 point, but I'd head over to rangerpowersports.com, find their FI thread, and ask them about a block holding up to 30 psi.

I'm just recalling a story of my friend who sunk $25k into an SRT4 turbo system, then blew a hole through the side of the block at 32 psi.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. I have been working with Tom Morana on this. We just happen to be in the same city. The plan is to pull 350hp all motor after full engine rebuild, AEM ems and what I already have done. Then turbo it. Should make 700 hp at 20 psi. Will be doing every little thing to ensure the motor handles it. Also, one key is not driving like a maniac. I will keep the boost turned down except on race day.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts