Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 01 Taurus and the first day I drove it, the AC stopped working completely. A Google search (and this site) tells me it's most likely a broken "blend door", as this seems to be a common problem (and a TSB for it in 2002).

So before I spend 8+hrs removing the dashboard, steering wheel, etc, etc, to replace a $50 part- has anyone tried this 30 min fix yet??

http://www.heatertreater.net/Ford%20Taurus%2096-07.htm

I'd imagine it's been brought up here, but I could not find anything via a search.

They do show a video, but the quality is so bad I can't even watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD7sYb5U9P0...player_embedded

TIA-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ran the test:

025 Intermittent blend door actuator malfunction

So has anyone here ever replaced the blend door themselves??

Sorry for the n00bism.

Thanks-
Rog

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Actually it is probably the blend door servo. It is fairly easy to access if you take out the glove box and the radio/climate control panel. My brother just changed the servo in my parents' 99 Sable. It took him about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply-

So why would it be the "servo" and not the "actuator"? What is the difference between the 2 parts?

And why does the TSB claim this has to be accessed by removing he entire dash panel, steering wheel, etc...? The heatertreater video (see my first post) shows the removal of the glove box and instrument panel, as you've mentioned.

link:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t460687.html

I've read a few posts about dealers charging $600+ to do this.

The 99 Sable is not the same as the 2000+ taurus/sable, correct?

Has anyone else been through this on a 2001 Taurus and has repaired the blend door problem themselves?

Thanks again-

-----

PS: few more questions-

If my problem is the door "actuator" (motor) and not the actual blend DOOR, I'd assume I have to replace the actuator itself- correct? Seems that broken doors is a common problem. I guess I will only know when I get in there and look at it.

So SHOULD I definitely replace the door with the newly designed Ford part, and what is the part # for my 01 Taurus SEL? 3F1Z-19D842-AA ?

I read posts of people getting this to work again by running the codes a few times, but no luck for me. I ran them like 4-5 times, and always come up with the 025.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Actuator, servo. Same thing.

I was assuming gen 3 and gen 4 a/c boxes are the same thing.

My brother is a Ford service advisor. He had the tech where he works show him how to change the servo/actuator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks-

UPD8:

Drove her yesterday afternoon and the AC worked GREAT! lol

Ran EATC and got triple 8's.

So maybe it reset itself?? Who knows...guess I'll worry about it next time it happens. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts