Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01' Vulcan Taurus's heater is working average at best. Over the summer the temperature gauge was reading really high so I put a gallon of coolant in it. The Coolant that was in there was really brown and dirty.
The Coolant has not been changed in 3-4 years. Every Time I Turn the heater on, it works average at best and it makes the interior smell like coolant. Would a coolant flush help this or do you think that it needs somthing more?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You should change the coolant every two years on the Vulcans or you get what you have.

There are several threads on this but what is happening is the coolant is full of sludge and clogs the heater core.

The fact that you had to add coolant also says there is a leak as you should never have to add any coolant unless you open the cooling system up as when changing a hose or draining the radiator.

More than likely the plastic coolant tank is cracked and leaking.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
yes yes yes

just by saying that the coolant was never changed since the last 3 4 year and it is now brown

when it supposed to be green is a good answer and it should be changed each and every 2 year

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes yes yes

just by saying that the coolant was never changed since the last 3 4 year and it is now brown

when it supposed to be green is a good answer and it should be changed each and every 2 year
[/b]
Yeah I Know Better. I just recently aquired the car from my brother who had owned it about 3 years but he could not financially manage to do alot of service work. Do you all think though that there will be any lasting damage from the coolant being this old?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
time will tell just get a good flusher to remove any rust and lime and then let the water run and try and flush the heater core on both side off the hose (meaning unplug the hose that goes into the firewall and plug water hose in tehre to be sure nothign stay in the system is a cheap procedure )

need some coolant get the better quality like the one supposed to be good 5 year it not all that much more $ but i like the precaution

and youre done

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Follow the procedures on the site about doing a power flush on your cooling system to get rid of the crap in it. However, as SHOZ123 said, if you had to add coolant, especially that much, you have a leak. And if you smell coolant when the blower is on, it could be a leaking heater core. Check the carpet on the passenger side, and see if it's wet. Also, do you get any sticky residue on the windshield when you're using the defroster. If you are, then it's the heater core for sure. If both seem ok, check for external leaks. As SHOZ said, the coolant tank is a common place for leaks. So is the engine front cover gasket. You could be getting the coolant smell from the engine bay drawn in thru the ventilation system when you turn it on.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
what would be the sticky residu

on the windsheild

i have alway some dirt in mine look like dust inside the car but never any smell
and i missed some since yesterday

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
what would be the sticky residu

on the windsheild

i have alway some dirt in mine look like dust inside the car but never any smell
and i missed some since yesterday
[/b]
Residue from leaking coolant.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
so does mine qualify for coolant residu ?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
so does mine qualify for coolant residu ?
[/b]
Coolant residue is like a fog that forms on the windshield and you can't wipe if off easily - it just smears around, and you have to use a good glass cleaner to remove it. It will also smell like coolant.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
well then it not me mine i can remove the film with a kleenex and it gone

and my other question is the expension tank how much can i loose on a regular basis like monthly evaporation thing

since i seem to have some coolant that vanish

but bit by bit im not sure just noticed that

and if i have a bad head gasket again im putting a 3.8 windstar engine in same price as rebuilding the damn head again

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
hi,

take a look at your coolant tank, aka degas bottle.

I had same symptoms you have, small pinhole
leak in the tank, the vapors would be pulled into
the cabin when the a/c or heat was used.

if the tank is wet, then you have a leak.

worst case is your heater core has leak and
that is a big job, expensive labor cost.

regards,

james

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
i have a 94 so it just a regular bottle no pressure in there so for a leak i would see it and there is no sign off any leak

nor on any hose nor on the rad 4 month old rad from ford

i just have to test my water pump to see if any leak

and to remove the damn heater core yes i know it about 10 12 hr

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
well then it not me mine i can remove the film with a kleenex and it gone

and my other question is the expension tank how much can i loose on a regular basis like monthly evaporation thing

since i seem to have some coolant that vanish

but bit by bit im not sure just noticed that

and if i have a bad head gasket again im putting a 3.8 windstar engine in same price as rebuilding the damn head again
[/b]
You shouldn't lose any coolant to evaporation. The properties in the coolant are what help prevent it from boiling, which means it also can't evaporate. If the level is going down, you have a leak somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts