Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 Ford Taurus. The fan comes on okay, and initially it is cool, then the heat comes on and I can't turn down/off the heat. I've tried replacing the device behind the temperature control knob and it won't do the trick. Occasionally, it cools, but then the heat comes back on by itself. I'd rather not have a heater at all! Is there any way to stop the heater from working?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Your temp is managed by the blend door motor as in the pic. Pic is automatic system, manual system is similar but the label is different. This is behind the glove box and should be visible if you are down in the foot area. Turn the temp up and down and the shaft should move, lines show the full travel of the shaft. If the shaft goes full travel as you change the temperature likely the blend door or shaft is bad. If you have the automatic system they sometimes loose their memory and go crazy. They can be re-set. Info is available if you have that. The blend door motors have a significant fail history.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the Integrated Control Panel (ICP) .

The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.

To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (COOLER) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.

To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the FRONT DEFROST button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared. This also recalibrates the blend door position.

Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off).

---------------------------

1. The RCC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-38°C (40°-100°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperature is not within the specified range, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.

2. The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the Integrated Control Panel (ICP) .

3. The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.

4. If any DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the REMOTE CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) INDEX. Carry out the diagnostic procedure given under ACTION TO TAKE for each DTC given. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\Remote Climate Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index.

5. If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the SYMPTOM CHART condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.

6. To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (COOLER) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.

To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the FRONT DEFROST button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared. Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off). Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

Did not know it was EATC.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have those buttons on the console. The floor and defrost options are on a knob beside the temperature control knob.

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
So..... you have manual controls and not EATC. You still have a BDA that is a known failure point.

With the key on, look at the BDA and rotate the temp control knob from cold to hot / hot to cold. You should see the BDA shaft rotate as you turn the temp control knob. If it doesnt do anything, BDA is likely failed. Had to replace the BDA on the wifes old 04 with manual controls several years back and I found it fairly easy to access after removing the ICP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the whole console last friday with another console - second hand - wth a BDA attached. It initially worked, then the problem sprang up again. The thought that I got a console with a flawed BDA has come to mind, but I don't like the thought of buying another BDA if this is not the problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you don't want to mess with heater issues you can just re-route the heater hoses in the engine compartment to bypass the heater. That's what I did when my heater started leaking. Saved a lot of money and aggravation!

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
I wouldnt even consider bypassing the heater core unless I lived somewhere where the temperature never drops below 65 degrees F, which leaves out 99+% of the continental US and all of Canada.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Blender door mechanism is available from Rockauto, Motorcraft brand is about $35. I replaced mine several years ago, it was awkward but a good Kiwi mechanic shouldn't have a problem with it!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts