Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get some insight and help about this re occuring problem i am having.

There is this heater resistor under neath the dash of my taurus that control that fan speeds for the heater and I am continuously burning it out and stuck with the highest speed or no heat at all.

I've replaced this resistor about 3 times for the year. I thought it might have been the coolant and had a extensive flush in December 2010 but i still am burning it out.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to prevent this?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Have you noticed any wetness under the carpet in the passenger floor area. The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was of this bulletin I had seen talking about water leaking into the blower case and passenger floor area. The bulletin says for 2001-2004 vehicles...but I can't imagine why your 2000 wouldn't have the same issue being the same body style and such. Here is a link to the bulletin...you can decide for yourself if this has anything to do with your problem or nothing at all.

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/T...2x80DtfYovhGRB43cQsURKGJXphh3wA26JkjlxmrCdQ==

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Check the amp draw of the blower motor to see if it is too high. I THINK on high it should draw around 22 Amps, and on low about 4.5 Amps, but dont quote me on these (too lazy to look them up at 7:20 AM). Excessive amp draw will fry resistors. If draw is excessive, replace blower motor.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Check the amp draw of the blower motor to see if it is too high. I THINK on high it should draw around 22 Amps, and on low about 4.5 Amps, but dont quote me on these (too lazy to look them up at 7:20 AM). Excessive amp draw will fry resistors. If draw is excessive, replace blower motor.
:werd:

Sounds to me like the blower motor is drawing excessive current. My vote is to replace the blower motor and install a new resistor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts